anyone burn green wood exclusively?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you think that when you burn strictly green wood that the flu temps never get hot enough to start a chimney fire?

I have a buddy who burns nothing but green wood. I went over and cleaned his double wall pipe earlier this year for the safety of his family. Ran the soot eater from the top down and got about 5 gallons of black hard creosote out. I looked at him he says that wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be :dumb:. He's in the if it's to dry it burns up fast group. I tried explaining the dry wood makes more heat deal but I might as well be talking to that bucket of creosote.

I have a buddy who burns nothing but green wood. I went over and cleaned his double wall pipe earlier this year for the safety of his family. Ran the soot eater from the top down and got about 5 gallons of black hard creosote out. I looked at him he says that wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be :dumb:. He's in the if it's to dry it burns up fast group. I tried explaining the dry wood makes more heat deal but I might as well be talking to that bucket of creosote.

That really sucks! Ta heck with the wood, doesn't he realize a chimney fire is no joke? Insurance company might not even cover it, creosote buildup isn't an accident, it is negligence, and if family members are lost..how cheap and ignorant can you get....good for you to help out, but he needs like a fireman or someone like that to talk to him. I just can't see burning green wood, it's like putting water in your gas....

Burn everything from the trash, processor scraps and some actual split firewood (poplar) in the shop stove. Chimney stays pretty clean actually. Dunno why, but it does. Burn in the area of 20-25 cords a winter I'd guess.

Don't really worry much about it, stove is almost 1/2" thick and the chimney is 1/4" 8" well casing.

So I go over and visit my buddy tonight and with the mild winter he has plenty of wood left. I make the comment man your gonna have a good start on next year so it will be dry. He says I really hope I don't have much left over it won't as good next year. I just walked back to the fire pit where the wood was boiling water out the end of the splits.

I knew one guy who only burned soft green wood. he had a heatmor with a double blower set up. it was a 10,000 sq ft unit heating a 1700 sq ft house. he said green wood is the only stuff that lasts. and he sells all the hard wood. (shrug) i've tried burning some green in the past. never worked out good for me.

a couple lazy folks i work with burn strictly green wood in the OWB (smoke dragon indeed) and it works ok for them but still dumb in my eyes. anybody else notice this is a 6 year old thread?

a couple lazy folks i work with burn strictly green wood in the OWB (smoke dragon indeed) and it works ok for them but still dumb in my eyes. anybody else notice this is a 6 year old thread?
Yea I notice . To describe burning green wood for me . Dump a few gallons of water in the gas tank of your car an tell me how good it runs . Our we could call green wood safety wood don't know how to burn the stuff . Being lazy for me is learning doing things the right way . Being ignorant an bull headed is the great American way .

Some of these stories are scary.

My parents burn 'medium' wood. It's not seasoned, but its not green either. I was going to burn wood this winter, but found out my wood wasn't as dry as i thought it was (after 8 months), so i'm going back to oil.

Back