New (to me) Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
I had been wanting to get a larger wood burning stove for some time though the one I was using did heat well last winter but did struggle a little during the coldest of days. Figure my place is about 1000 square feet I was using one that would heat up to 1100 square feet. Not that this was the reason for my wanting a larger stove or even a different one. My main reason was I wanted a larger viewing window.

I was considering the medium US Wood Stove from TSC but they upped their price from $499 to $599 right at the end of the season and it has remained there ever since. So while I was looking around, I found a Englander 1800 (13-NC-MH) for $829 and really liked that one a lot better for the window size. The price not so much, but I figured in time I might be able to find them on sale.

While I was browsing Craigs List one evening looking for my next treasure, I'll be danged if the Englander 1800 didn't show up. Of course I had to look and for $200 how bad could it be? So I decided I had to have it! I called the following morning since it was after 10pm. (I never call anyone after 9pm or before 8am) The guy said he purchased it last December and it worked great, but not well enough to heat his home. So I arranged a time to go pick it up. (about 50 miles away) He also told me he had a tractor to load it which was fine by me.

When I arrived it was sitting outside and the first thing I noticed was the ceramic fiberboard was missing. The next thing I noticed was there was melted plastic that had dripped out the door. Well, that trashed the gaskets around the window and door. There was also burned on plastic on the window. Out of curiosity I asked about the ceramic fiberboard that was supposed to be on top of the 3 tubes at the top of the stove. He looked at me like "so that's where that thing was supposed to go." He showed me a hunk of it and said he had been using it above the firebrick on the floor of the stove which meant he didn't read the manual.

I told him that regardless I still wanted the stove and wasn't going to try talking him down though really I should have. Not because of the fiberboard but because he had been using that stove to burn garbage of all things and included plastic items. Add to it he had also been burning unseasoned wood from the heavy smell of creosote in the stove. The reality is, had the fiberboard been in place where it should have been and his using seasoned firewood instead of unseasoned wood and garbage, it could have easily heated his home since his was just a little larger than mine.

Anyway, the stove came with the added side heat shields (a $92+ value) the brass trim and the blower bringing the total cost to him after taxes n stuff to a bit over $1000 and it was manufactured 03/2012 (from the data plate on the back of the stove). I'll be ordering new gaskets and the ceramic fiberboard from the company that manufactures the stove in Virginia on Monday for $71. All of that comes as an overhaul kit.

So total cost to me $271 and a bit of elbow grease to get it cleaned up. I have since installed it and moved the wood stove from the house into the garage where it replaces another wood stove which I will eventually be using as part of a smoker I'm putting together. N a picture of the new to me stove or it didn't happen! :msp_w00t:
IMG_1573_zpsaec5783f.jpg

You are going to really like that stove! Sounds like the former owner will be on the evening news sometime soon if he keeps burning trash and green wood. Can't fix stupid.

Fortunately for you, "real men" don't read directions, that means it should work just fine for you! :laugh:

(not sure what that says about me, I had my Yukon manual downloaded, printed off, and practically memorized before I ever bought it!

Nice score storm!

Last edited:
Nice stove! If ours is going good, I can open the front door and watch the fire, but it has no glass in it. Mostly run it closed off.

That looks very nice and congrats on a great deal! I like the large viewing window, too.
Please report on how satisfied you are once you get to burning this winter.
New stove rep!!!!!!

Ron

Oh, but of course I'll have to post how well it heats this coming winter. That ceramic fiber board is supposed to be new technology and I can't wait to see how effective it is. If not, I'll cut a piece of steel plate and replace it with that.

Thanks for the Rep! It's always appreciated! :msp_biggrin:

I must have a thing for windows though. A few days before finding this stove I picked up 85 windows for $125 delivered and unloaded. Most are aluminum clad and at least half are double hung with screens. I'm thinking "Greenhouse!" :msp_w00t:
IMG_1530_zps9669a646.jpg

You are going to really like that stove! Sounds like the former owner will be on the evening news sometime soon if he keeps burning trash and green wood. Can't fix stupid.

Or maybe not on the news. After all, he did get rid of the stove. But then he might buy an even bigger one and do the same. N yep, "can't fix stupid!"

Or maybe not on the news. After all, he did get rid of the stove. But then he might buy an even bigger one and do the same. N yep, "can't fix stupid!"

And you can't fix lazy- so much for recycling plastics, at least you got to recycle his stove- LOL. Post up a pic of the three tubes the fiberboard rests on, I can't quite picture the setup. Congrats

You got a great deal, stove looks new.:clap: Those windows was an awesome deal too.

You should have seen it before I cleaned it up! :msp_scared: I can't wait to do a test fire but I have to wait until I get the appropriate parts to finish restoring it. It may have only been slightly used, but it was used very badly. Melted plastic is a beast to clean out of and off a wood burning stove!

Those windows was an awesome deal too.

I almost have all the materials already to build the greenhouse with those windows. All salvaged lumber from a dog kennel and part of the shed the windows were in front of that I tore off last year. The dog kennel was also on this property when I purchased it. I figure I'll have a super fancy greenhouse for under $250 in materials. My labor is free (cuz it's only me) :msp_biggrin:

And you can't fix lazy- so much for recycling plastics, at least you got to recycle his stove- LOL. Post up a pic of the three tubes the fiberboard rests on, I can't quite picture the setup. Congrats

Here is a picture of the upper inside of the stove showing the tubes. There is also a little steel stop that holds the ceramic fiberboard in place which I labeled in green. The green circles are where the bolts are to remove the tubes so the fiberboard can be inserted. Actually only the two tubes to the left need to be removed. Just remove the bolts, push the tube to the right, drop it down about an inch and then move it back to the left. It will drop right out. I did take a putty knife and cleaned the top of the ridge all the way around so that when the fiberboard gets here, all I need to do is remove the two tubes and insert the board. Then put back in the tubes and then the bolts. Tightening then down to where they are snug. The fiberboard rests on top of the tubes and that ridge. I placed the order this morning.

I will admit I recycle, re use, and re purpose whatever I can. N yep, I'm recycling that guys stove.

Img_1604L_zps4f84e8de.jpg

I think that fiber board is flexible? You may just be able to slide it up and thru without taking out the tubes.

Very nice looking stove and at a good deal. Can't wait to see the greenhouse.

You may already know this.......I believe the purpose of the fiberboard is to keep the internal temps high in the top of the firebox to promote the secondary burn function. If the previous owner did not have it in place, it most likely was not working properly for him.
Course it doesnt sound like he is the type that would notice, or maybe even care.?
I have heard about the possibility of bending those tubes when loading the stove...........just something to be mindful of.
Now all you need is some cooler temps for the first fire in the new to you stove. VERY EXCITING STUFF!!!!:blob2:

Ron

I think that fiber board is flexible? You may just be able to slide it up and thru without taking out the tubes.
Well, if the 4 inch piece I found under the ashes when I cleaned out the stove is any indication, it is not flexible. I tried to bend it and it broke in half. Since the parts are actually going to be here later this afternoon according to UPS Tracking, I just went ahead and removed all the tubes just to be on the safe side.Even cleaned the outside of them with a wire brush.

I figure at $60+ a pop, I don't want to risk having to purchase another fiberboard.

Can't wait to see the greenhouse.

Me neither! I'm still working on the design in my head so that I can have a roof that opens for the rains during the spring, summer, and fall. Or if there is another year like this one, I can close the roof to deflect the rains. Too many farmers around here are complaining about tomatoes rotting on the vines due to the excessive rains. It's also called "Blossom End Rot."

I should be able to get a jump on the growing season and maybe even be able to grow things year round if I do it right. Anyway, that's my vision and I do hope to be able to make it a reality as early as next year.

You may already know this.......I believe the purpose of the fiberboard is to keep the internal temps high in the top of the firebox to promote the secondary burn function. If the previous owner did not have it in place, it most likely was not working properly for him.
Course it doesnt sound like he is the type that would notice, or maybe even care.?
I have heard about the possibility of bending those tubes when loading the stove...........just something to be mindful of.
Now all you need is some cooler temps for the first fire in the new to you stove. VERY EXCITING STUFF!!!!:blob2:

Ron

As for those tubes possibly bending, I don't know. They seem pretty stout to me. I removed all of them and cleaned them off since the parts will be arriving this afternoon and I swear, I could beat someone to death with them and not end up with even a dent in them. They really are a heavy stainless steel.

I doubt I'll wait for cooler temperatures to fire the beast. If I have to open all the windows in the house or run the A/C wide open and sit in a freezer, I will have a fire within the next day or so.:msp_biggrin: I can't wait! :blob2:

Me neither! I'm still working on the design in my head so that I can have a roof that opens for the rains during the spring, summer, and fall. Or if there is another year like this one, I can close the roof to deflect the rains. Too many farmers around here are complaining about tomatoes rotting on the vines due to the excessive rains. It's also called "Blossom End Rot."

I should be able to get a jump on the growing season and maybe even be able to grow things year round if I do it right. Anyway, that's my vision and I do hope to be able to make it a reality as early as next year.

You will like it. handy as all get out and with a little work, year round veggies. Also a neat place to hang out in th winter, not so much in the summer....

Keep a jump on bugs inside, wipe them out on sight!

Also be prepared for a visit from the local heat, either when you are there, or they will just come sneek in and check it out. They just do it. Ours, at least twice so far that I am aware of.

Latest posts

Back