Anyone burn Sycamore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just took down a Sycamore figured I'd take it to burn (never had) read it burns fast and leaves a lot of ash? But the BTU'S are comparable to maple it seems at 19.5. But one thing I did notice so far is that as I stacked the rounds and the longer it has time to blead out, it smells similar to a game farm.

Seems like Uncle has turned in to a wood snob since his tree surgeon exercises has gone up to speed? Endless supply of prime hardwood can turn good folks into snobs. Nothing bad about a wood snob. Now we all need to find a way to become money snobs!!! Not?

Motorsen

It's like hemlock ..Coals poorly absorbs water like crazy burns fast and a pound of sycamore makes a pound of ash in the stove

Well i won't be touching any of it to burn till next year anyway
So if it does stink, it will be firepit wood instead of burning my oak and other hardwoods.

It does OK and I've burned a fair bit.
11ce19.jpg

I'm using some in my owb. Mixing it with some maple and poplar. But this is the shoulder season. It'll burn about anything... It is a you-know-what to split though... Definitely not my favorite wood!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm using some in my owb. Mixing it with some maple and poplar. But this is the shoulder season. It'll burn about anything... It is a you-know-what to split though... Definitely not my favorite wood!

Well i have a very large hydro splitter, hopefully I don't have much of a problem, I know when I split a cord of oak it stinks like dog #/!/ and by the smell of this sycamore I'm thinking it's gonna smell like a deer farm.

Sycamore does leave a lot of ash. It's probably better suited for campfire or bonfire fodder than for heating your home or shop. The smoke can be acrid. Don't toast hot dogs or marshmallows over it. :eek:

Well i have a very large hydro splitter, hopefully I don't have much of a problem, I know when I split a cord of oak it stinks like dog #/!/ and by the smell of this sycamore I'm thinking it's gonna smell like a deer farm.
My 4" cylinder unit barely does it. The 5.5" doesn't mind it but it does have to shift into high pressure stage of the pump.

It doesn't matter what size your splitter is. Sycamore does not "split", it tears apart, similar to elm except worse. Try to split parallel with the rings, which is hard to do on a round piece of wood. Have a small axe handy to chop the fiberwood that doesn't want to let go. Splitting when frozen seems to help also.

Sick and more, old folk lore proclaims that that sycamore is poison and should be avoided.

Possible individual allergic sensitivity???

I know one guy won't touch, cut or burn it because of asthma.

Latest posts

Back