Anyone else getting "The Itch"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Days are starting to shorten up noticeably again, early mornings and some evenings are reasonably cool for cutting, so I'm starting to get the firewood itch again.

I haven't touched my saws (other than just general fondling) since mid-June, and I put about a half hour on the splitter a couple weeks ago to help a friend, other than that I've not been on wood patrol.

My schedule opens up quite a bit after this weekend, and besides the usual dead and down stuff here on the farm, I have some fenceline cleanup of cherry and box elder to do, and a couple lines on oak, maple and ironwood at friend's properties.

I'm thinking next weekend, weather and work schedule permitting, the sweet sound of Dolmars will be echoing through the woods again.

Anyone else ready to get after it again?

Yeah I am ready to get after it. I have not used my saws much since last November. I need to get out of town and away from work. Can't wait.

Already have a few around the farm picked out to be dropped.

As soon as things cool off, the saws are gonna heat up.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's dipping just below 60°F tonight and it feels like cutting weather!

This past weekend, a storm blew through and knocked down a few branches, but only one of them was just barely big enough to cut. Needless to say, that made my itch feel like a poison ivy rash underneath thick wool sweater. :chainsaw:

I always start thinking about cutting this time of year, but I don't really get the fever until the first hard frost. That way most the bugs get hammered and the poisons start dying off.

Yep......... and I plan on scratching it tomorrow ! Got a call from a friend a week and a half ago wanting a couple trees down, we coordinated for tomorrow. One or two decent sized Red Oaks and a couple small Sugar Maples...... looks like I'll end up with some nice firewood out of it. Fortunately he doesn't burn wood (yet).

Every time I see a tree down I get the itch! Actually, I had my first Craigslist score last week....storm took down a large ash. I really didn't want to start on it due to the warm temps but they wanted it out ASAP and I didn't want to lose it to somebody else. Of course the pathetic Poulan would not start for me so I got out the old Jonsey and away we went! Will have about 3/4 of a cord when I'm done....this will probably be like my first pee after a few beers, once you start it's a regular event! :)

Yep, up & running in a limited fashion. Cut about a cord yesterday, & it wasn't too bad temp wise. Finally drying up a little here too. I see a lot of small maples in the lowlands turning red. I'm not sure why they do it so early, but it makes me think Autumn & cool weather! I've got about 60 cherry trees to drop & cut on a friend's place, he's adding pasture area, I can't wait to go on that project! A C

I've got about 60 cherry trees to drop & cut on a friend's place, he's adding pasture area, I can't wait to go on that project! A C

AC, make sure you burn or remove all the brush and leaves from those cherries, otherwise it could become an expensive lesson for your friend. Cherry leaves, especially wilted ones are toxic to cattle and likely other livestock as well. Other trees make this list as well, but Cherry is one of the most notorious.

This LINK takes you to the cherry section, but the whole page is worthwhile reading.

I'm getting itchy too. Cut a bit last weekend, and got a large oak trunk dropped off to me this week, so I spent some time blocking/noodling this morning. It's all in the back of the truck now, maybe 1/2 a cord, just gotta get the ambition to unload it.

Feels good to be back at it, but I hope summer lasts a little longer. Our winters are long in Canada................

My neighbor and I were just talking about this 2 days ago when some high winds knocked the tops off a bunch of birch and box elder. We'll be cutting here soon and I'm ready!

Heck it won't cool down here till after august.:cry: In the mid 90's with nights falling to the upper 70's. Heck a few weeks ago I made a video of my rebuilt stihl 041av. It was 98 degrees. I have the itch REALLY bad. Geeze this heat is miserable.:censored:

We've been going up and taking out the wood we had cut down last year and the year before. Kind'a tough to get in the woods with all the rains, bugs and then the high temps but it's always nice to see the pile growing at home.

Hope to bring home another trailer load this weekend. Every little bit helps..

AC, make sure you burn or remove all the brush and leaves from those cherries, otherwise it could become an expensive lesson for your friend. Cherry leaves, especially wilted ones are toxic to cattle and likely other livestock as well. Other trees make this list as well, but Cherry is one of the most notorious.

This LINK takes you to the cherry section, but the whole page is worthwhile reading.

I know the cherry is toxic to livestock, hence the removal from the pasture area, but that link is a great help. Thanks much! At this point, the plan is for the trees to come out, then till & seed this fall, & maybe build the fence, then horses in the spring. A C

I have been cutting at least twice a month if not more since summer hit. I am cutting up a boxelder for a neighbor hood farmer. Hopefully he lets me cut his fence line with 56+ dead elm. I no how many I have counted them from the road I don't no how many times.

Beefie

You talked me into it. My brother and I went out and dumped a few dead Ash trees to help our dad out with his winter supply. We then moved on to a cedar that needed to go away. We ended up with about 1 cord of Ash and not having to brushhog around the cedar anymore. I haven't cut in a while and I am now feeling like I need to do more of it so it doesn't hurt so much afterwards.

Latest posts

Back