Anyone else store their wood in a garage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys i keep a very small supply in the basement in case of a heavy rain. However, i ve found that uncovered in the weather is my preferred method of wood drying. Changing temps and more airflow outside works best for me. Each to his own ya know. That old sun beatin down on it 365 really makes her burn. My friend is about the same.

Go for it!

thanks. the red oak has been seasoning outside for 2 months already, doubt it will be ready by the fall where it is right now. am hoping it will be ready by january-feb. going to give it a try with a couple of cords!

I also want to mention that since it is inside the wood will be seasoned but it won't be "dark" on the split ends because it's not getting any sun or wind on it. It'll be clean looking but very dry! Go for it you won't be sorry; if it gets hot in there like mine you'll be in very good shape come Fall!

I have an attached garage. Just to hedge my bet with ants or other bugs, I keep about half a cord on a metal rack inside the garage and the rest is stacked on the edge of the driveway next to the garage. I think that if you keep the wood elevated then you shouldn't have a problem, but, like anything else, trial and error helps find the best means to an end.

I try to keep all of it under some type of covering, It will last longer and termites won't be as bad when it stays in the dry. Couple of pics where mine is.
chainsaws021.jpg

chainsaws020.jpg

I built my woodshed about 40ft from the house. I ran electric out there and just flip on the light and grab some wood. The sides are 1x8 boards that I spaced 1 1/2" apart, using a piece of 2x4, so the shed "breaths". The wood seasons nice in there.

I freakin hate bugs, so I just bring in a days worth of wood at a time. (My stove is in the living room). Even with well seasoned wood you still get spiders. When I had my knee scoped a few years ago, I stacked a few days worth in the laundry room and gave the pile a quick shot of bug spray. But in a garage you are going to have some bugs anyway. I'd say it's probably OK to store seasoned wood in an attached garage, but I wouldn't think it would be a good idea for seasoning.

Latest posts

Back