Anyone ever rebuild a valve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnha

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My valve has been acting up ever since I got the splitter back from my ham fisted neighbor. :censored: Knowing how he does stuff, he probably figured he had to pull the handle as hard as humanly possible to split the wood. Now if you pull the handle all the way the piston stops and sound like it does if you continue holding it at the end of the piston's throw.

Somewhere in the middle of rest and full pull is where it runs normal speed. Its not really any trouble other than being annoying. The only adjustment on the valve is for the detent, but the automatic retract is working okay.

I believe its a Prince valve. It looks like its not difficult to disassemble, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and could give me some pointers or 'don't do that' before I do that.

Thanks.

dammage

My valve has been acting up ever since I got the splitter back from my ham fisted neighbor. :censored: Knowing how he does stuff, he probably figured he had to pull the handle as hard as humanly possible to split the wood. Now if you pull the handle all the way the piston stops and sound like it does if you continue holding it at the end of the piston's throw.

Somewhere in the middle of rest and full pull is where it runs normal speed. Its not really any trouble other than being annoying. The only adjustment on the valve is for the detent, but the automatic retract is working okay.

I believe its a Prince valve. It looks like its not difficult to disassemble, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and could give me some pointers or 'don't do that' before I do that.

Thanks.

John, unless there is damage to the linkage its most likely a seal problem, I hope, Ive never seen a spool damaged from over running the travel of the leaver, maybe he used a sledge hammer to get a little more pressure out of that valve, He He. Ok, not funny, Eric

John, unless there is damage to the linkage its most likely a seal problem, I hope, Ive never seen a spool damaged from over running the travel of the leaver, maybe he used a sledge hammer to get a little more pressure out of that valve, He He. Ok, not funny, Eric

Eric, don't apologize for laughing, its what keeps me going. He's a good neighbor, but unfortunately doesn't seem too good with tools.

Triptester - thanks for the link, I had that info but I appreciate you going to the trouble to look it up for me.

I've been inquisitive all my life and have taken many things apart. I've even been able to put some of them back together properly.

A few years back I used my compressor to get a stuck brake caliper piston out of my motorcycle I've grown more cautious. Just was looking for 'watch out for this, it will put your eye out' kind of thing.

John

triptester - I must be looking at the wrong diagram. On page 6 of the LS3000Manual.pdf, PN 6 is an aluminum washer. Can you point me to the page you are looking at please?

Thanks.

John

You guys rock!!!

Triptester, you nailed it. I took the valve apart and the bolt was loose. Cleaned up the threads and applied some loctite. All is well, I guess it worked itself loose recently.

Thanks again.

Yee Ha

Triptester, you nailed it. I took the valve apart and the bolt was loose. Cleaned up the threads and applied some loctite. All is well, I guess it worked itself loose recently.

Thanks again.

I dont know how to do the little add on guys clapping but heres 2 TRIP,....YEE HA,...

Back