Anyone ever used the Stihl MM55 mini-tiller?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking at the KM110 check out the KM90 before you buy. Not much difference in power but you will save some money which you can use towards an attachment.:cheers:

PS. The MM55 Stihl kicks the Mantis's a$$ :laugh:

Nah...I like the additional metal on the 110 better...feels more solid! :cheers:

He also told me to steer clear of the Mantis. So I'm thinking along the lines of Eyolf, something must be up with the product but he didn't drop any reasons why I should steer clear of it.

I have nothing to back this up...other than a serious suspicion, but here's my theory: (Pausing to put on Oliver Stone costume...)

I have a feeling Mantis is going through the same kind of issues Husky is with their dealers. Mantis is competing with their dealers directly by selling factory-direct mail order to customers. And to make matters worse for the dealers, if you do buy directly from the factory, they give you a one-year no-questions-asked guarantee. You don't like it, you send it back, you get 100% of your $ back.

I have no idea what brain surgeon thought up such a deal, but I find it curious that dealers stock them at all given the set-up. However, someone must be buying them, or they wouldn't stock them at all. The Mantis product has a stellar reputation, and my guess is that, if someone walks in and just won't be talked into a more profitable (non-Mantis) deal for the dealer, then they have a Mantis available to sell.

Taking my Oliver Stone costume off now...it's starting to itch.

Any dealers out there who stock Mantis have any insight here? I just find it curious that three people walked into three OPE dealers and got steered away from a Mantis for no stated reason.

Have you looked at the Km130. 40% more power.:rock:

One of the major selling points for the Stihl Kombi is that they are the only mfg that I have seen which stocks a NYLON BRISTLE sweeper. All the others, including Stihl, carry the rubber sweeper, but Stihl alone (I think) carries the bristle brush.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of one versus the other? I mainly want a sweeper to scrape away packed-on footprints and snow-blower tire tracks in ice and snow.

One of the major selling points for the Stihl Kombi is that they are the only mfg that I have seen which stocks a NYLON BRISTLE sweeper. All the others, including Stihl, carry the rubber sweeper, but Stihl alone (I think) carries the bristle brush.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of one versus the other? I mainly want a sweeper to scrape away packed-on footprints and snow-blower tire tracks in ice and snow.

I have used the brush on the MM55 and it works great. We also have many Horse ranchs using it with the gear box turned around and the bristle brush on it to clean out stalls. I have not tried it on the Kombi yet. I have used the rubber sweeper and it cleaned up mud pretty well but I think (JMO) that the bristle brush would work better for what you are wanting to do with it.

I have used the brush on the MM55 and it works great. We also have many Horse ranchs using it with the gear box turned around and the bristle brush on it to clean out stalls. I have not tried it on the Kombi yet. I have used the rubber sweeper and it cleaned up mud pretty well but I think (JMO) that the bristle brush would work better for what you are wanting to do with it.

That's what I'm thinkin' too.

I could also dump a bunch of salt on the concrete, but that has a tendency to cause problems with the concrete after awhile, especially if it's not well-poured or in good shape to start with. Not to mention what that salt does to the surrounding landscape...

Plus hell I just like the idea of turning a manual tool like a broom into a gasoline powered ROTARY BROOM!!! Like THALL says, WEDOGGY!! :rockn: :rockn:

I have nothing to back this up...other than a serious suspicion, but here's my theory: (Pausing to put on Oliver Stone costume...)

...Taking my Oliver Stone costume off now...it's starting to itch.

:laugh: :ices_rofl: :laugh:

Now I don't care who you are, that's funny!!!

FYI- I already look enough like Larry the Cable Guy that I don't need a costume.

I have a feeling Mantis is going through the same kind of issues Husky is with their dealers. Mantis is competing with their dealers directly by selling factory-direct mail order to customers. And to make matters worse for the dealers, if you do buy directly from the factory, they give you a one-year no-questions-asked guarantee. You don't like it, you send it back, you get 100% of your $ back.

I have no idea what brain surgeon thought up such a deal, but I find it curious that dealers stock them at all given the set-up. However, someone must be buying them, or they wouldn't stock them at all. The Mantis product has a stellar reputation, and my guess is that, if someone walks in and just won't be talked into a more profitable (non-Mantis) deal for the dealer, then they have a Mantis available to sell.

Taking my Oliver Stone costume off now...it's starting to itch.

Any dealers out there who stock Mantis have any insight here? I just find it curious that three people walked into three OPE dealers and got steered away from a Mantis for no stated reason.

We sell the mantis but don't stock it these days....NOT BECAUSE IT'S A BAD UNIT thouhg, but more cause we don't get good terms from the distributor

In my lawn install business I use the Mantis with the two cycle Echo engine. I use them to till the ground next to the walks, driveways and up next to the foundations of the homes. In them areas it is very poor dirt with left over chunks of concrete and rocks. They amaze me in what punishment they will take. If you are goiing to use one to just till a garden a couple time a year they should last forever. You can get it with a Honda 4 stroke engine, or even with an elecrtic motor. I now have four of the two cycle units. I have many times filled one up with gas and ran it wide open without ever letting up on it untill it was empty and did it again. I can not say anything bad about the ones I own and use. I have completly worn out several sets of tines and have never had any problems with the motors or gear boxes, but I am hard on the tines. They will take plenty of abuse and keep on going. I alway clean the air filter every time I fill up and run MX-2T Mobil synthetic at 40:1
The Echo tiller is that same thing as a Mantis except the Mantis is red. You will not be dissapointed with a Mantis.

The MM55 eats the Mantis for lunch. The Mantis is an old has been.:deadhorse:

I have a 12 yr. old Mantis and it's a great machine but it has always been hard to start. It takes 10 to 15 pulls to get it going. My wife cannot get it running from a cold start, never could. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct the problem?

I have a 12 yr. old Mantis and it's a great machine but it has always been hard to start. It takes 10 to 15 pulls to get it going. My wife cannot get it running from a cold start, never could. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct the problem?

It has always been that cold blooded? Is the low speed needle set correctly? Is the fuel line in good shape? Make sure you don't leave old gas in it. Also the carb could well use a rebuild by now.

Does it have a carb purge bulb? The new ones do, but I can't remember if a 12 year old unit would. If it does have one then you should replace it because they get old and crack, letting air into the carb and keeping the purge bulb from propperly doing its job. A leaking bulb can cause erratic running and make it impossible to propperly tune the engine.

A couple of pushes on the bulb clears the air outa the pump chamber of the carb. Otherwise you have to pull several times for the pump chamber to purge itself and fill with fuel.

Yeah, buy the Stihl MM55.
Problems solved:popcorn:

You sure you're not confusing hunger with shame, Mow? :buttkick: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The only thing that I am ashamed of is the fact that you cannot come to the realization that the Mantis is an old has been and the yard boss is the wave of the future for the mini tiller. I thought you were smarter than that. Quit living in the past and wake up man.
Do not make me go THALL on you.:hmm3grin2orange:

I just bought a Mantis with Honda engine. I bought the dethatch and aerator tines also. I think the dealers don't want to sell Mantis because Mantis offer an iresistalbe deal if buy direct from them. I order direct from Mantis. I choose Mantis over Honda FG110 because the gear ratio of Mantis is 42:1 vs 35:1 of Honda. The tine should spin slower and I think it would be better for dethatching and easier on the engine.

I choose Mantis over Stihl Yard Boss because I can't get over the HomeScraper engine. If Stihl would have put the FS80 engine, I would have no reservation buying it. Stihl have the nylon brush I really like. Why Stihl put a homeowner engine on the Yard Boss is beyond me. It is the same engine that is on the trimmer that is selling for $150 in the dealer.

I bought the one with Honda engine anyway.

Anyone use the dethatcher tine on the Mantis?:cheers:

You are so easily self-confused and self-mislead by the stihl marketing... but....

it IS basically the same as the FS80 motor...

Oh well..

It took you THIS long to make a decision? lolololol

Last edited:
I just bought a Mantis with Honda engine. I bought the dethatch and aerator tines also. I think the dealers don't want to sell Mantis because Mantis offer an iresistalbe deal if buy direct from them. I order direct from Mantis. I choose Mantis over Honda FG110 because the gear ratio of Mantis is 42:1 vs 35:1 of Honda. The tine should spin slower and I think it would be better for dethatching and easier on the engine.

I choose Mantis over Stihl Yard Boss because I can't get over the HomeScraper engine. If Stihl would have put the FS80 engine, I would have no reservation buying it. Stihl have the nylon brush I really like. Why Stihl put a homeowner engine on the Yard Boss is beyond me. It is the same engine that is on the trimmer that is selling for $150 in the dealer.

I bought the one with Honda engine anyway.

Anyone use the dethatcher tine on the Mantis?:cheers:

You get a 2 year warranty with the MM55 plus a butt load of avaliable attachments. If they didn't think the Homescaper engine was up to the task, it would not be on the tiller.

You going to box up that mantis and mail it back when you have a problem?

Back