Anyone got bar&chain for stihl 020AVP? (8 tooth sprocket think it’s 1/4” pitch)...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborMcNaMill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
just picked up a 020 AVP- need bar and chain for it. I have tons of stihl 3/8 pitch chains and half a dozen smaller bars but none that work on this. Counted 8 teeth on drum so pretty sure that makes this a 1/4” pitch saw, Anyone have a 12”14” &or 16” bar&chain they’d sell for this model? Let me know... oh ya forgot to mention must also be a “low profile” chain to work right. May just bite bullet and buy new but thought I’d see if anyone has it used, which is almost always my purchasing preference

Not sure exactly which Is why I ask this all knowing site. I have owned, fixed, and operated dozens upon dozens of chainsaws and all 12-16” saws have always worked with 3/8” pitch for me. This is first time ever when I put a 3/8” pitch chain on a saw this size it just didn’t feel or sound right although it spin&cut was ratting against edge of clutch drum. After researching tons found stihl made the early 020 with 1/4” clutch drum and switched at some point to 3/8”. Pretty sure this is the early model 1/4” and just wanna make sure I run right chain on it or will ruin the sprockets on clutch fast. I think If clutch is 1/4 chain must be 1/4”. For the bar nose I dunno but they must be labeled Their pitch for same reason I imagine, might work but will likely damage parts fast if pitch is slightly off on anything would be my thoughts on the physics of sprockets/nose tips T 9k rpm &up...

Not sure exactly which Is why I ask this all knowing site. I have owned, fixed, and operated dozens upon dozens of chainsaws and all 12-16” saws have always worked with 3/8” pitch for me. This is first time ever when I put a 3/8” pitch chain on a saw this size it just didn’t feel or sound right although it spin&cut was ratting against edge of clutch drum. After researching tons found stihl made the early 020 with 1/4” clutch drum and switched at some point to 3/8”. Pretty sure this is the early model 1/4” and just wanna make sure I run right chain on it or will ruin the sprockets on clutch fast. I think If clutch is 1/4 chain must be 1/4”. For the bar nose I dunno but they must be labeled Their pitch for same reason I imagine, might work but will likely damage parts fast if pitch is slightly off on anything would be my thoughts on the physics of sprockets/nose tips T 9k rpm &up...

Yep, you need 1/4 inch chain and a NON sprocket tip .050 gauge bar, with a hardnose bar all you need worry about is the mount size, oiler hole lining up and the gauge of the slot the drive links run in.

Latest posts

Back