Help identifying this 1/4 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deekay

Reaction score
I do some chainsaw carving and I generally use 1/4 pitch chain. While sharpening I realized that I some of my chain has a higher profile than others yet they are both 1/4 inch. In the attached pic you an see that the chain closer to the camera is low profile and only fits a 1/8 round file. The far chain has taller teeth and fits a 5/32 round file. Im told by both guys who sold these to me that they are both Stihl chain. Can anyone tell me why 2 Stihl, 1/4 pitch chains are so different? Can someone explain the difference between 1/4 vs 1/4 picco vs. picco mini micro etc? Thank much.

Attachments

• 20201115_123144.jpg
    20201115_123144.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
The chain with the lower cutters appears to be safety chain - low kick-back due to the double depth gauges. The taller cutters look like regular chain. The top chain looks like it needs sharpened. The lower chain looks like it is riding on the bar nose - like the nose sprocket teeth are worn and not holding the links up off the bar, hence the rounded wear on the bottom of the links. Maybe typical with carving bars?

13RM is Stihl 1/4 inch pitch 0.050 gauge uses 5/32 file. It is rm not picco even though a picco 3/8 file guide is appropriate. Stihl picco 1/4 is 0.043 gauge and smaller file. 71pm3 would be the identifying code. Most likely there was a sheet in the packaging with pertinent information.

Latest posts

Back