Stihl Micro Chainsaw Chain compatible with grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramcharger07

Reaction score
I have a Stihl pole saw. Use it often. Does any grinder (Oregon, Tecomec) work with this small chain, 71 PM3?
It specs out with 1/4 pitch, 043" and uses 1/8" file.
Thank you for your help.

Today I sharpened my 1st small chain with my new Oregon 520-120.
Worked out well, angles where good, but the right and left cutters weren't the same without a little adjustment.
I centered the vise with the wheel. So I'm guessing the vise isn't pivoting on center.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks

i use 3.2 mm hand files on Stihl PM3 saw chain for battery pole & chainsaws its hard to get the edge back = to OEM sharp as often with use the small cutters get mashed & untidy. PM3 cutters so small its kinda like micro surgery , im not saw how a grinder wheel would work.

One of the reasons I do not use CBN wheels, fixed shape. I seldom use a fixed radius of 1/16(1/8" Wheel) ditto on the 3/16 wheel or the metric versions of the same. I use more of an oblong shape which reduces pocket depth and a bit straighter side plate so there isn't as much over hang of the top plate. Well compared to a lot sharpenings I see. the 2mm wheel is apx. equal to 5/64" width wise. No body has been complaining over the past 30 years so I guess its ok. Do my own the same way. You do have to pay special attn. to the depth gauges on those incredible small chains. Oh and on these tiny chains I use a resinoid wheel rather than a vitrified one, softer and much cooler running.

Latest posts

Back