Chain File/Sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan_M0822

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 076 with a .404 chain. I file it with a 7/32 but was wondering if there is a 1/4” (8/32) file that I should be using?

I have a Stihl 076 with a .404 chain. I file it with a 7/32 but was wondering if there is a 1/4” (8/32) file that I should be using?
The best thing you can do, if you’re not certain with filing, is to start with everything set correctly - get the correct file guide for the chain, remove the gullet, then set the teeth the same length if possible, set the depth gauges to each tooth and round the depth gauges. This is a great place to start. From there you can try and change tooth shape and test.

Those who tell you to just chuck your file guides away are setting people up for failure.

I bet there are more poorly cutting chains because they have heard to chuck their guides away than they’d get using a guide.

Freehand filing is useful in some respects and It’s not that it’s difficult, it’s just a learnt skill that most won’t invest time into to get a better result than you’d get from the consistency of a guide.

Upload a picture of your chain from a few different angles will help as well.

7/32 file is correct for .404. I generally stick to this throughout the life of the chain, but people who chop and chose, generally go to a smaller file near the end of the chain's life, not larger. I might use a smaller file if I have run out or its really blunt. I see no reason to use a larger 1/4 inch file? Sorry I use metric in Europe (soooo much easier) so I hope these fractions are right

7/32 file is correct for .404. I generally stick to this throughout the life of the chain, but people who chop and chose, generally go to a smaller file near the end of the chain's life, not larger. I might use a smaller file if I have run out or its really blunt. I see no reason to use a larger 1/4 inch file? Sorry I use metric in Europe (soooo much easier) so I hope these fractions are right

I pretty much always step-up 1/64" when the teeth get low.

If it's 5/32, it gets 11/64, 3/16 gets 13/64.

If you take a new chain and start sharpening with a file size the step-up, you will get a less aggressive cutter that holds an edge longer. This is especially useful with semi-chisel chain where longevity is often more important than the fastest, most aggressive working corner of the tooth.

I pretty much always step-up 1/64" when the teeth get low.

If it's 5/32, it gets 11/64, 3/16 gets 13/64.

If you take a new chain and start sharpening with a file size the step-up, you will get a less aggressive cutter that holds an edge longer. This is especially useful with semi-chisel chain where longevity is often more important than the fastest, most aggressive working corner of the tooth.
Without using google to translate all those numbers to metric, im struggling to understand. I’ll take your word for it!

Translated
Thanks. I have none of those! I've now got my collection down to two file sizes
- 4.8mm (3/16ths) file for .325" pitch chain;
- 5.5mm (7/32ths) file for the bigger .404" pitch and 3/8ths" pitch chain
(OK last one is a slight stretch, but it seems to work so far.)

Back