Anyone have any experience milling Japanese Pagoda Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanlumberinc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got my hands on 4 small to medium sized Japanese Pagoda trees. I can't seem to find any descriptions of the lumber anywhere. Has anyone on this board milled any, and if so is it worth the time and effort?

Are you maybe talking about paulownia?? I've read a fair bit about it but don't personally have any experience with it. It grows very quickly, is considered a nuisance and invasive species in VA, and was considered very valuable at one time; I think it's similar to balsa wood, is very light, and is used in traditional japanese furniture making, Tansu.

I think it is infact Japanese Pagoda like you said, but it was interesting to read about the Paulownia. I'm actually researching this same question. I have been "told" that the wood is good for something, but I can't find what it is, so it must not be that good.
Until I find out for sure, I'll be leaving the two I have a line on in Wichita in the ground.

Last edited:
paulownia

I milled up some paulownia trees last fall. It is a very light wood, cream color, open grain, I think, the two that I cut up were were topped a year before I got them, and aerial termites were infesting them a little, already. I hear that the Japanese use the wood for traditional wedding boxes for the bride. They only buy logs that grow slow and even, and knot free.:blob2: :blob2:

At one point years ago paulwonia was worth its weight in gold, the Japanese were buying up everything they could find. Some people were starting Paulownia plantations as it is a fast growning tree. Then the Chinese got into the market and the bottom dropped out. A very light wood, not all that easy to work due to it being so soft.

I finally got around to milling up some pagoda tree, and the wood is really pretty, and quite hard. After some research, I found out that the Pagoda tree is a distant cousin to the locust. It has a smell kinda similar to honey locust, but not quite as sweet. I'll be milling the other logs up soon, and will have pics to post.

Latest posts

Back