Anyone know much about tree farming?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bttrflyvld

Reaction score
My husband and I have about 8 acres of land in a area that should be great for growing trees. We are looking for a way to brings in some more income and have been thinking about starting a tree farm (the type you sell the trees to nurseries) . I have an ornamental horticulture certificate from usu, so I know a little bit about trees. I have more knowledge in landscaping, houseplants, and bedding plants. We just are not sure where to start. If I could just get some information from someone who has done tree farming I know that we could make it work. I think it sounds very interesting and I'm very excited to try this. We live in northern Utah so we have hard winters. Where would I start to get the information needed? Any great websites, books, other resources?

Last edited:
My dad ran a tree farm many years in Florida. Obviously not Utah. You might want to spend some time at local nurseries to see what they are selling, and what commercial and residential places are planting. Since you have a landscaping background and if that is the market you are going for then you have an edge. If you can visit tree farms in your region would also be a big plus. I can tell you from experience that it is very intensive work (even in Florida with its soft sandy soil). A water source is important. One species we raised down there was live oak and I remember there were different grades. I also got a good dose of how important it is to plan. You should check with you state agricultural department. Good luck.

Back