Anyone know of an axe and hatchet forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsnext

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wrong board, I know, but every once in a while I like to drop a tree 'Old School' and have come across a couple of nice axes lately. Probably enough of us here use them to have our own forum right here.
TIA, John...........

whatsnext said:
Wrong board, I know, but every once in a while I like to drop a tree 'Old School' and have come across a couple of nice axes lately. Probably enough of us here use them to have our own forum right here.
TIA, John...........
Axes rule :)

Unless they are polluted by plastics.

These are nice looking axes :
GetImage.asp

ltskogyx.gif

For christmas tree I always use bowsaw and axe :)

nice steel. i have a swede living with me so i have some of the best axes in the world. would love to find an axe forum!!! best i can find ar some lonely people wo keep talking about how sweet their new battle axe is, and how cool it would be in some stupid movie. Stuff like that

whatsnext, you might try PM or emailing

Arden Cogar Jr. He posts here, but doesn't live here like some of us :p . I believe that he's very, very much into axes.

Last edited:
Once again,

AS members step-up to the plate & drive in some runs. Sorry about the baseball analogy, but I'm trying to get pumped for the Astros this year.

Guys, those are some d*mn*d cool sites :cool: .

Madsaw said:
Here is a link to Arden site.
Later
Bob
http://www.axemensnews.com/

Wow! Arden is WAY more into chopping then I am. I pull out the axe when I want some peace and quiet and really want to hear the tree fall. Arden wants to be the fastest. I was more curious as to why some axes are designed differently than others and he's taking it into a whole other plane. Still, I think I could talk myself into a "race" axe. There must be some old timer from the Pacific NW who picked up some html skilz who could explane some of this stuff. Thank you everyone who gave up the links.
John..........

whatsnext said:
Wow! Arden is WAY more into chopping then I am. I pull out the axe when I want some peace and quiet and really want to hear the tree fall. Arden wants to be the fastest. I was more curious as to why some axes are designed differently than others and he's taking it into a whole other plane. Still, I think I could talk myself into a "race" axe. There must be some old timer from the Pacific NW who picked up some html skilz who could explane some of this stuff. Thank you everyone who gave up the links.
John..........

John,
Ask away and I'll do my best to answer. I've been an avid axe collector my entire life. Between my father and I we have wwwwaaaayyyyy to many. That includes non racing axe as well.

All the best,
Arden

Arden, Thanks. Here's one. Are there more than cosmetic reasons that double bladed axes have such different profiles? I saw one the other day that had blades about 3" wide but were spaced about 12" apart. Is there a special use for such an axe?
John........

whatsnext said:
Arden, Thanks. Here's one. Are there more than cosmetic reasons that double bladed axes have such different profiles? I saw one the other day that had blades about 3" wide but were spaced about 12" apart. Is there a special use for such an axe?
John........

John,
Odd are that was a old time "falling" axe used by "fallers" who were either cutting redwood, cedar, or some other soft wood. The old double bitted axes were used by the loggers of yester year a a practical tool for falling. Most used the crosscut saw to cut the undercut then used to axe to chip away the wood above the undercut to perform directional falling much like we do today with chainsaws. They then used the crosscut to back cut the tree or finisher' off.

The double bitted axes normally had both blades sharpened prior to days' work and the faller would use one blade until it became dull and simply use the other blade to finish out the day.

The smaller edged axes (you mentioned 3") penetrate a log deeper than a wider edged axe. It's a matter of physics and the analogy I like to use is comparing a belly flop (big surface on the water) to a perfect dive (little surface on the water); the perfect dive goes deeper and the belly flop goes in the water minimally. The softer timbers allowed for deeper cuts and the narrower/longer axes afforded quicker turnover in getting the undercut in. I hope I'm making sense?

If the fallers were cutting hard wood, it would be senseless to use a long cumbersome axe like the one you described. The axe wouldn't go that deep no matter what. As such, the axes were shorter from blade to blade, and normally wider on the cutting edge.

Make any sense?

All the best,
Arden

Arden, So I'm guessing that that sort of narrow axe is just considered obsolete today? I would think that a lot of the energy in the narrow blade would be wasted as the blade tries to split, or spread, the wood against the grain. Am I wrong or would a wide blade cut soft wood just as well, or better? I don't have any production quotas to meet and just chop and split for the fun of it but I still like seeing big chips fly.
Thanks Again, John..........

whatsnext said:
Arden, So I'm guessing that that sort of narrow axe is just considered obsolete today? I would think that a lot of the energy in the narrow blade would be wasted as the blade tries to split, or spread, the wood against the grain. Am I wrong or would a wide blade cut soft wood just as well, or better? I don't have any production quotas to meet and just chop and split for the fun of it but I still like seeing big chips fly.
Thanks Again, John..........

John,
Trying to split with one of those long faced short edged axes is verrrryyyy difficult. It better have a good handle, because you will stick it more than anything and you'll have to pound out the blade. If you want a good splitting axe, contact Carson Bosworth through www.racingaxes.com and he can get you a keesteel forrestor or a David Foster work axe that's perfect for splitting and chopping (for beginners in my opinion). They're relatively soft and thick, but the edge is approximately 5" and they weigh about six pounds. They're a single bitted axe, but given their width or thickness, they don't stick when you split wood. Or at least they will be less apt to stick as compared to the 12" long 3" edged axe you described above.

Hope that helps?

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr. said:
John,
Trying to split with one of those long faced short edged axes is verrrryyyy difficult. It better have a good handle, because you will stick it more than anything and you'll have to pound out the blade. If you want a good splitting axe, contact Carson Bosworth through www.racingaxes.com and he can get you a keesteel forrestor or a David Foster work axe that's perfect for splitting and chopping (for beginners in my opinion). They're relatively soft and thick, but the edge is approximately 5" and they weigh about six pounds. They're a single bitted axe, but given their width or thickness, they don't stick when you split wood. Or at least they will be less apt to stick as compared to the 12" long 3" edged axe you described above.

Hope that helps?

All the best,
Arden

I just went back to look at the site to see if I got the names right. The axe I'm referring to is the Keesteel Timberman and the David Foster work axe.

All the best,
Arden

Arden, I really didn't think that the narrow axe would be good for anything much less using it as a splitting axe. That's why I asked. I think I'll splurge on one of the big Gransfors' and see if they really are all that. If not I'll keep cutting with my antiques. I'll also send a inquiry to the guy at racingaxes to see if one of the practice/working axes make sense for me.
Thanks, John....

So that's the problem, I've been using the "belly flop" underhand swing. I will change to the "perfect dive" swing. Stihl series here I come..............

Chopwood said:
So that's the problem, I've been using the "belly flop" underhand swing. I will change to the "perfect dive" swing. Stihl series here I come..............

Actually, after watching you chop underhands the past, what, 12 to 15 years, you're "belly flop" has to do more with "turning the axe over too soon" (aka "loosing your wrists") and striking the log with bent arms. A weekend with you and, god willing, I think I could turn you into a formidable underhand cutter ....that is of course.....assuming one thing - If you'd listen :p :p

All the best,
Jamie

Latest posts

Back