anyone sawing up shagbark hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearwood

Reaction score
I need to find a supplier of shagbark hickory and would like to find a small company/person who can get or saw the boards I need and send them out here to oregon. My customers are very demanding, so I pass that on and would like to find someone who is very picky and is going to get me exactly what I need.

:help:

i know of several logging projects that are removing some decent hickory material. I would assume most is mockernut, and the rest shagbark. I know that Univ. of Tennessee had a few sales come up recently where there was some really nice hickory for removal.

As where it goes or who has it, i have no idea, so:
http://forestry.tennessee.edu/Cuforest.html
look in the personnel section for Martin Schubert, he is the forest manager and may be able to give you a hand finding what you are looking for.

good luck. and remember to support planting of native spp such as the hickory here in the south, regeneration of oak and hickory is less than ideal right now.

Somewhat off topic, but I've got a shag bark that needs to come down (about 13-15" diamter). It blew over somewhat years ago, but is hanging on another tree. It still leafs out every year, but stands at about a 30 degree angle (root ball is pulled up a bit on one side out of the ground). Its pretty straight, with few branches (guessing 40-50' or so before a branch).

I have a buddy with a wood mizer, think it would be worth getting it sawed into boards? Or just use as firewood?

sure, if youre gonna use the wood, why not saw it up. hickory makes really nice looking flooring, cabinets, furniture, etc.
use the small stuff as firewood and kill two birds with one stone :)

Back