Anyone selling lightning protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been thinking about selling lightning protection for some time now, not just saying "yeah we can do that", but doing it as a stand alone business. I'm thinking that the sole purpose of the business is lightning protection, and marketing it that way. Do you or do you know of anyone doing this? Are they making money?

Greg

I believe that you could make a lot of money selling lightning protection in some areas of the country. I couldn't-because I'm not convinced of its efficacy.

To focus on it you'd need enough local customers like golf courses. Since costs went down when the standards changed, it's more affordable for joe and jane homeowner, but even if you're in a high-strike area you need steady accounts to rely on it.

Besides, if you're visiting the tree to install lightning protection, you also need to be selling PHC, so how would lp be a standalone biz?.

Before getting into something like that, I would check into all the liabilities you could set yourself up for.
You also need to find out if the local fire department needs to inspect and approve once done. That is apparently the case in Ontario, which many of us were surprised to hear. I've since discoverd that a few people I know installed lightening systems about 10-15 years ago. They only discovered a few years ago that they used the wrong materials, making the system virtually useless.

Back