Anyone trenched with their grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplewg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has trenched with their stump grinder. I need to run a water line to the barn and and thought, why not use the grinder?

i have no experience with a stump grinder, but my first thought was you would kill the teeth on it digging a trench. if that is something that's ok with you, go for it. then again, i live in new england and you can't stick a shovel in the ground without hitting a rock the size of your head.

No rocks here just a clay based soil. I wouldn't put new teeth in the ground but when I get ready I may give it a go and then change teeth afterwords. Thanks

I did one trench job with my stump grinder and it was my last. Its not worth it unless you are getting paid really well. It is a very slow process and you will probally have to sharpen teeth afterwards. This is your decision but my advice is to make sure your getting top dollor or dont do the job. Good Luck

I've done it many, many times. I use a self propelled grinder, it cuts a great 3" width trench, the problem is it throws the dirt right back in - so make a deflector on your back flap and throw the dirt to one side.

The other downside is you can only cut about 8" deep with a small self propelled, otherwise the head drive gets in the way.

If you swing the head to one side your trench will get wider.

I find the stumpcutter does a great job, doesn't bounce on the roots like a trencher, it goes right through them.

I've also tilled many a garden - again does a great job.

You might throttle down a little from the full throttle you normally cut with.

Good luck!!

Thanks to all for the advice. Last time I rented a trencher. I shouldn't have any rock problem in Fla.

The deflector sounds like a good idea. I don't have to go too deep as we don't have frozen soil too deep if at all. We did have 20 degrees here a week ago though.

Thanks to all for the advice. Last time I rented a trencher. I shouldn't have any rock problem in Fla.

The deflector sounds like a good idea. I don't have to go too deep as we don't have frozen soil too deep if at all. We did have 20 degrees here a week ago though.

You don't need a deflector, just drive the other way.

I used mine to dig down a little when I put my chain link fence in. I wanted it just below the ground level so my dogs wouldn't dig out.

I've also used mine as a tiller. Tilled up my small backyard so I could level it and add compost to get some grass to grew. No rocks here though.

Back