Anyone try an electronic ignition retro-fit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been considering one for my Mac 10-10 only because they claim hotter spark and easier hot starts. Haven't done it yet though.

Those chips work in older points fired saws, they become the trigger mechanism and are spliced in to the coil by the old points wire. I don`t see how to connect them to the more modern electronic modules.

I think if you had an old coil the same dimensions as your bad electronic ignition coil, you could remove the old core from the bad ignition and swap in the points style coil. An example is the Homelite XL-1/Super EZ saws, the coils are the same dimensions on both points and electronic ignition styles.

I used to use those modules quite a bit. Now I've found its quicker and slightly cheaper to replace the whole coil with a solid state coil. I buy the Husky 55 coils, sometimes they are only 9 bucks. Then swap the laminates with your old coil. You might have to grind your laminates down some. Works for me on old Macs and Partners. I put some pics on the Mcculloch thread once.

Latest posts

Back