Anyone use a GMC W4 for a chip truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am seeing these little GMC cabover trucks with a dump bed available for a better price than a typical Dodge/cummins with a flatbed. They have a 4 cylinder Isuzu Diesel motor in them. I figured I could put sides on it and some kinda mesh across the top to catch any over spray of mulch.

Anyone use one to tow a chipper? I have an older Chipmore and need a cheap light truck to haul and dump mulch...

Thanks
Alex

Here is what I am talking about..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=200022841493&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

98_12.JPG

I have no first hand experience but the rumor is not alot of power.But then again this isnt a race is it?I would think theyd be fine.I see them around but mostly lawn service trucks.For that price i would say it would be hard to beat em.

Not a bad little truck.
I own a few Isuzu's (my friend who owns a landscaping service sold me on the Isuzu/GMC - he's owned over a dozen).

The 4 cyl is a little low on power but will haul chips and a small chipper. Their auto trans is a kinda weak, so don't over tax it.

If you are using the truck for landscaping and tree work build a half top - Here's a pic of my FRR, next size larger truck 6 cly 19,500gvw.

Last edited:
Nice!

I ended up getting a w4000 with a newer dump/stake bed, this truck has a GVWR of 14000 LBS and has the Allison 4 speed. I had a chance to tow my Terramite on a heavy equipment trailer yesterday and found it to be real stable and have enough power ( only 135 HP, but good torque) It will not win any races, but I did not notice the trailer behind me much at all. I also notice that with a light load it does not mash the yard nearly as bad as my last large truck (Cummins 1 ton Dodge dually x-cab)

I am going to raise the sides up and get a mesh tarp across the top, I want to try to deliver mulch for a local yard in the spring as well as tow my chipper. I think I can haul some pulverized top soil in it as well.
My chipper has a low tounge weight, if I sit on the intake chute (while it is not running LOL) I can raise the tounge off the ground so it is balanced really well, and the overall weight of my ole "Chip more" with a 300 in line 6 is not to bad (My Tacoma 6 banger tows it really easy)

Here is a (before)pic..

w4.jpg

Latest posts

Back