Anyone use ALCO synthetic 2 stroke oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slipknot

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
My local TSC has this stuff $1 bottle. I can't find any info on this stuff. It has all the same certifications as my mobil1 mx2t. I just wanna know is it any good? I did a search.....nothing!

slipknot

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup! Thats the stuff. Thanks for the info. I read on, and came up with another question. What is the huqvarna 242 chainsaw test? This oil meets the requirments of that test, it says in the info.

ray benson
Couldn't find much about the Husky 242 oil test. Pulled this off the spectro oil site.
In Europe, European two-cycle engine manufacturers were simultaneously working on two-cycle oil tests to separate the cheap, poor quality oils from the top quality oils. They tested the JASO reference oils (called JATRE-1 and JATRE-2) in European engines and their top reference oils in Japanese engines. They found that European two-stroke high performance engines needed an oil with a better detergency and higher temperature performance than the best JASO "FC" oils. In April, 1997, they published their ISO global standards for two-stroke oils with two quality level categories: ISO-L-EGB and ISO-L-EGC. The ISO-L-EGB aligns closely with JASO "FB" and the ISO-L-EGC aligns closely with JASO "FC" for minimum test standards. Then, they developed the "GD" detergency and lubricity tests to run hotter and longer (3 hours vs. 1 hour) than the JASO detergency/lubricity tests. Oils passing the new ISO quality level, ISO-L-EGD would be superior to any previous two-stroke oils available! Of course, it didn’t take long for oil manufacturers to develop and test oil formulations that pass this new quality test, and most of them involve using synthetic base oils. Running these tests is a very expensive and time consuming effort but in the end, a bottle of oil with one of these JASO FD and ISO- L-EGD ratings means that the oil meets the highest quality test standard set by the engine manufacturers in Japan and Europe. Then, some new lubricity tests were developed using a Husqvarna 242 model 2-cycle saw engine run at full power and throttle for 7 hours using less than perfect fuel. The best JASO reference oil, JATRE-1 fails this test while a top quality synthetic ISO oil can pass, thus earning "+" after the GD designation. (ISO-L-EGD+)

Bad E

Bad E

ArboristSite Operative
slipknot said:
My local TSC has this stuff $1 bottle. I can't find any info on this stuff. It has all the same certifications as my mobil1 mx2t. I just wanna know is it any good? I did a search.....nothing!
I used this stuff for years at 50:1 in my old Pioneer P39 without a hitch. Switched to the new Gray bottled Husky oil when I bought a new Husky. I'm quite sure the ALCO stuff works very well though.Burned many a tankful thruogh my Pioneer, my Husqvarna string trimmer, and my two stroke cultivator. Never fouled a plug or had any type of problem.

Hunowie

Hunowie

ArboristSite Member
I really like ALCO 2T OIL synthetic - i think its better than stihl and husqy has to offer.
But i have a problem - i live in europe and it seems nobody has this oil in europe.
Did the company go bancrupt or did it become part of another corp? Their site is for sale.
Is it available under another brand or NLA?
IF NLA then is hp ULTRA better or this husqy xp?

Conquistador3

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
I really like ALCO 2T OIL synthetic - i think its better than stihl and husqy has to offer.
But i have a problem - i live in europe and it seems nobody has this oil in europe.
Did the company go bancrupt or did it become part of another corp? Their site is for sale.

ALCO (American Lubricating Company) was bought by Spectrum in 2012.

You won't find many US lubricants, if any, in Europe due to a variety of reasons. Not a big deal.
You can buy Repsol synthetic premix oil, which is JASO-FD rated and more than reasonably priced (I stocked up last year however and due to that inflation that officially doesn't exist so things may have changed), albeit it doesn't smell as good as Yamabiko and Castrol.

Hunowie

Hunowie

ArboristSite Member
Repsol is available in nearest store but the thing is they have 3 kinds of them.
2t synthetic - racing, town and scooter does it make big difference in chainsaws?
how about castrol A747 racing synthetic?

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
I used many flat packs of the ALCO no smoke two stroke might have been a semi synthetic, it was old stock from one source and discontinued from another. Good stuff, used to be everywhere then it disappeared, nice to know what happened.

Spectrum products pretty much everywhere these days.

Hunowie

Hunowie

ArboristSite Member
I got my hands on ALCO semi-synthetic- one guy had quite a few gatering dust.
Also i got in touch with one distributor, he is expecting delivery - should arrive within 2 months.

IS this oil soo good somebody banned it for that?

Conquistador3

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Repsol is available in nearest store but the thing is they have 3 kinds of them.
2t synthetic - racing, town and scooter does it make big difference in chainsaws?
how about castrol A747 racing synthetic?

The one I stocked up with last year is this: https://imagenes.repsol.com/es_en/RP_MOTO_SINTETICO_2T_EN_tcm11-18799.pdf

One of these days we should try having a serious discussion about labeling difference in Europe and the US without the thread turning into another oil thread. :laugh:

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Around here at least it was typically in a round black bottle usually with a red cap. Label colors and such would change however somewhere it would say "No smoke 2 stroke oil.".

ALCO was on the bottle usually on the front of the label in small print. A person might get the idea that the name of the oil was No smoke 2 stroke and have no idea it was an ALCO product.

It was fairly inexpensive to begin with compared to the branded bottles.

Little Al

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you can obtain it give either the ELF top of the line or Ipone Samurai a whirl To me either is a better bet than Stihl or Husky oil + the Ipone you can get smelling of strawberries if required

Piotr Pakula

Piotr Pakula

ArboristSite Operative
I just bought a bottle of Alco because it is FD and it is not cosmically expensive ;-). A 1L bottle costs as much as a 0.5L Stihl or Husky. In our country in Europe it is quite rare. Now convert to gallons :p

Latest posts