anyone used the hayauchi 21'?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have the hayauchi head but I frankensteined it up to a professional grade 20' painting extension pole. Partly because I had one laying around, but mainly because i didnt want to cough up the 500 bones they want for the pole in aus. Its worked well for about 6 months and I've realised I just cant live without a long reach pole saw. It makes so many jobs easier, and I end up using it in the tree as well. I'm willing to cough up the 500 bones now, but I cant try one without ordering it first. Has anyone used the 21' silky poles? What was your feeling about them? how was the flex at full extension? Have you bent them easily, or broken them?

The alternative for me at about the same amount of money is a new head that would mate up to the jameson pole system. It's not a silky, but looks as good as. This sort of works ok for me because I have other jameson compatible tools (big shot, long reach tool) and might get a few more in future. I already have a few poles, but I would probably look at getting 3 8' poles for a 24' reach. I have a few 4' poles as well, so I would have a few options. Having the fixed length sounds like a pain, because I know I often extended mine up or down by only a couple feet, especially while in the tree where things can be tight. anyone using the jameson pole system?

Thanks for any feedback!
Shaun

I have the hayauchi head but I frankensteined it up to a professional grade 20' painting extension pole. Partly because I had one laying around, but mainly because i didnt want to cough up the 500 bones they want for the pole in aus. Its worked well for about 6 months and I've realised I just cant live without a long reach pole saw. It makes so many jobs easier, and I end up using it in the tree as well. I'm willing to cough up the 500 bones now, but I cant try one without ordering it first. Has anyone used the 21' silky poles? What was your feeling about them? how was the flex at full extension? Have you bent them easily, or broken them?

The alternative for me at about the same amount of money is a new head that would mate up to the jameson pole system. It's not a silky, but looks as good as. This sort of works ok for me because I have other jameson compatible tools (big shot, long reach tool) and might get a few more in future. I already have a few poles, but I would probably look at getting 3 8' poles for a 24' reach. I have a few 4' poles as well, so I would have a few options. Having the fixed length sounds like a pain, because I know I often extended mine up or down by only a couple feet, especially while in the tree where things can be tight. anyone using the jameson pole system?

Thanks for any feedback!
Shaun

I love silky blades. I've had a few hand saws that lasted forever. I wanted their polesaw system, but I went to Jameson to have the dielectric properties and because it was more affordable.

I was raised on Hastings hotsticks, but their blades are an absolute joke.

Personally, I'll have both the Jameson system and the Silky before too long.

I have never used the hayauchi, but have the hayate and it (well, both of them) has most certainly paid for itself.

Just don't drop anything on it ;) (although I was lucky in that it only cost me a few feet off of the butt end, so if I take the blade off, it fits behind the seat in my truck now - but there are cheaper ways to get a saw that will fit)

i often use my pole saw to pull/push branches away from where they'd otherwise want to go. That was how I broke my last one - had a big branch overhanging a pool, so I made a notch in the side, back cut, then used the pole saw to push it round. Unfortunately the head got caught up in the branch on the way down :-(

I think I'll go with the jameson pole system. It seems a lot stronger. There are some pretty good looking heads available for the jameson poles, a lot of bull lopper and pole saw head options there. The poles are good but I only have experience with the shorter poles. I think I'll go with 3 x 8' poles, together with the couple of 4's that I have, and I'll just live with the fixed length.

Shaun

I think I'll go with the jameson pole system. It seems a lot stronger. There are some pretty good looking heads available for the jameson poles, a lot of bull lopper and pole saw head options there.

Isn't Barnel local to you guys? their 7 m is not that bad and they have a good pruner head which silky does not.
i've had hayauchi 4 yrs and the only way it got bent was running over it. a most excellent tool. jameson sections get so much wobble to them they are hard to use. hayate ok but much heavier. i use the hoochy in the tree a lot but hayate cannot.

LONGER MODELS
Any pole tool can be used from the ground, but some models have limited use aloft due to weight and bulk. Most arborists can use the longer tools, made by Silky and ARS and Barnel, to make cuts overhead. However, making horizontal cuts at the full extended length can be a strain. Even if the climber is well secured with accessory lanyards or climbing lines, it takes a lot of strength to control the flexing pole and aim the blade when the pole is fully extended to the side. Extra control and pulling power can be gained by pressing the handle firmly to the upper body while bending at the hips and knees to make the stroke. The oval shape of these aluminum poles limits flexing under pressure. Length is also useful when using the pole to advance the climbing line. Silky sells an accessory hook that makes hanging and retrieval easier.
The three long poles have different telescoping mechanisms. With the Silky, the first step is pulling up on a clamp, and the next is depressing a button. When collapsing the poles, the smaller section is fed into the larger section as the button is held down, which can pinch skin or glove. Once the buttons click into the desired location, the clamp is pushed down again. With the ARS, a lever is pulled up to release. Under hard use, and due in part to operator failure, the buttons have stuck inside and the plastic clamps and levers have broken. The manufacturers were quick to respond to problems, and replacements were made readily available. Barnel’s metal lever is not pulled up but pushed down, so it is less exposed to damage. Its backup locking mechanism is a knob that is spun tight. The buttons on the long Hayauchi are 55” apart, one hole on each end of each section. They are 12” apart on the Barnel, which has the last hole marked, to avoid having the section mistakenly pulled apart. The ARS can be locked in at any length.
Lighter grips slipped too much, so now all the models in the 20’ range have heavy grips on the bottom section. Arborists noted that the extra weight is well worth it for a stable grip, and can even provide a counterbalance when reaching to the side. The cutting blades are similar, with small cutting blades at the base and in a hook on the tip. Silky’s Hayauchi was tested the most so far, and its blade has never kinked, even when it got stuck. The Silky scabbards are loosely secured by pressing a hole around a bolt, while Barnel’s is secured by a sliding pin. Weaver makes a custom scabbard for the ARS out of rubberized belting.

I thought barnel was a US company. I ended up ordering some jameson poles - i went with 3 x 8' sections, hoping the longer sections will give me less flex. I went hollow core because of the big price jump to foam filled. Apparently the foam filled are slightly stiffer. It will be a shame to miss out on the ability to extend, but with the 8' sections and the 4's I've already got I'll have a good range of lengths available - if i have time to add/remove them. I know I wont end up using it in the tree as much though. I think I might still end up getting a new hayauchi pole just for in tree use and then keep the jamesons for ground work.

Nobody seemed to stock the 8' sections in aus. Tried all the usual suspects - arborlink, arborgreen, not treegear (of course), atraes, vermeer. Ended up finding them at a place I havent used before called new age arbor/arbormaster. They're based in melbourne and have apparently been around quite a few years.

The prices werent any cheaper than anyone else, but they had stock and were knowledgeable and helpful. The guy I spoke to offered different ideas for attaching my hayauchi head to the jameson poles but I ended up going with the ARS turbocut saw. He went down and tried the ARS blade on a few different adaptors and found one that only needed one hole drilled in it, saving me some $$ and making my life easy. I also ended up getting the line lifter tool and the jameson heavy duty pulley pruner. It really doesnt look that heavy duty and is only rated to 1 1/4" But I'll have a go. We currently use the fiskars which are pretty light duty but have a good reach and work well as long as they are sharp.they're really only good to about 3/4" though, less in dead.

Will let you all know how the new setup works out.

Shaun

Like any long pole saw it gets a little flex-o-bendo when used fully extended. The blade is just flat out badass, if you can make the stroke it will cut.

However, just keep it in mind that it's metal and should not be used near any electrical conductors.

The hayauchi is real easy to bend, especially when fully extended. If your real careful they last a while. I recommend Silky Hayate 420 20' Pole Saw with 3 Extensions it has a better blade and is heavy-duty.

Yeah. Hell bent I call mine. I bought my Hoochy three months ago and used it less than I expected until recently. Awesome polesaw with incredible cutting power. Although, it took a hit this past weekend on a "freebie/favor" job. It bent at the working end when an Oak limb brought it to the ground. I was able to return it to close to true with a couple quick whacks against the tree in mention, but I am not sure I will shell out the close to $300 for another after seeing that.:msp_angry:

you can buy the individual sections, I think they run about $80~$90 each in aus, so I'm guessing $50~$60 stateside.

Mr oder arrived today but they messed it up. Sent the green landscaper poles instead of the full strength yellows. Im assuming it was a picking order since the invoice price and description reflects the yellows (greens are about half price). I put the 3 landscaper poles together just for a laugh, at 24' they were like wet spaghetti. I've never seen anyone use the greens, but I'm sure they have some use.

Will probably take a week to get these poles returned and the right ones sent out. They didn't send the adaptor for the heavy duty jameson pole pruner head either. WIll post a review once it all arrives.

Shaun

been using the hyauchi for 7 years and love it. also have the silky longboy which is nice in the bucket or for climbing also for pruning small ornamentals. silky all the way.

jameson makes a bigger pruner head and marvin does too which is excellent

i drop the hoochy a lot and am quick to let it go so it does not bend
sounds like a fluke getting it bent
below is 3 yrs old; am looking to update so thanks for sharing experiences

View attachment 183058

jameson makes a bigger pruner head and marvin does too which is excellent

i drop the hoochy a lot and am quick to let it go so it does not bend
sounds like a fluke getting it bent
below is 3 yrs old; am looking to update so thanks for sharing experiences

View attachment 183058
Yeah, total lack of reflexes, but bummed none the less. Worst part was it was a weekend "Freebie" or did I mention that. Probably wouldn't have hurt as much if the beers started flowing Before it got bent.:laugh:

I've bought three (actually 4, one for a friend), bent two and one is in full use, all sections intact and if it bends, I'll buy another. Love, love love these saws.:rock: Previous posts are correct, the blades are incredibly sharp and cut effortlessly. The full 21' is a must. I use it to place rope in the trees for tether lines, use it while in the tree to trim and remove and use it from the ground to trim out all the time. I also have the pruner head. I've had the gas pruner sawes and they are too cumbersome plus can't get as high as this saw. price is high in AUS but if I was living there, I would own one regardless. They are well worth the money and will pay for themselves. What if someone here were to buy one and then ship it to you? :msp_unsure:

just thinking.

Back