Apple lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sounds odd, right, but I had a modern stepstool made of solid applewood in Germany by a master furnituremaker a while back.

Anyway, I have a very hard time finding apple or plum lumber in the US - gorgeous if you can get it, green or dried. Any recommendations ?

I can dry (if I have to), plane and thickness myself if needed.

Sounds odd, right, but I had a modern stepstool made of solid applewood in Germany by a master furnituremaker a while back.

Anyway, I have a very hard time finding apple or plum lumber in the US - gorgeous if you can get it, green or dried. Any recommendations ?

I can dry (if I have to), plane and thickness myself if needed.

You can drive, if you have to ???
Lots of apple orchards being cleared for housing, not too far from me.
I use it for firewood myself.
Smells good.
Burns long too.

You can drive, if you have to ???
Lots of apple orchards being cleared for housing, not too far from me.
I use it for firewood myself.
Smells good.
Burns long too.

pity that this is such a loooooong drive. Might be quicker if I planted some apple trees here on Long Island. :D

sounds great - I'll check it out next time I am heading upstate ...

Thanks !

when you do, look me up, I live a few minutes from kinderhook. I have a few apples on my property. Might be time to prune or eliminate a few big ones.:rock:

Apple is a great wood to work in the shop once it's dry. Keep in mind though that it twists up like a pretzel when drying. When I get a hold of an apple log I generally slice it pretty thick, 8/4 or 12/4 and then let it dry. THEN jointer and planer and resaw to the thickness I want in the woodshop. If you slice apple 4/4 you will be lucky to get half inch out of it after cleaning it up S4S.

Apple is a great wood to work in the shop once it's dry. Keep in mind though that it twists up like a pretzel when drying. When I get a hold of an apple log I generally slice it pretty thick, 8/4 or 12/4 and then let it dry. THEN jointer and planer and resaw to the thickness I want in the woodshop. If you slice apple 4/4 you will be lucky to get half inch out of it after cleaning it up S4S.

Yes apple wood twist when drying. I did some 4/4 with it and ended up with 3/8. It is a very beautiful wood though.

Latest posts

Back