Arborist certification in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm wondering what the arborist certification climate is like in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick... So far I see NS wants ISA or equivalent, but that isn't really a straight answer... What do you folks out there actually get asked for if an inspector drops by?

Here in Ontario we don't actually need a certificate for residential tree work. Just have to be clear of lines and follow health and safety and conservation regulations. I would like to spend some time working out east but want to know what I'd need before I pick a place to go. Insight and examples appreciated. Thanks!

As far as I am aware if you are employing people doing tree work in N.S a certified arborist must be on staff per the occupational health and safety regs.

I've been doing tree work and climbing since 2016 solo. Sometimes I pay other contractors for clean up.

Of course TCIA and ISA membership and certification will help you, but not a requirement to do tree work for reward in N.S.

... I plan on isa certification in the future btw

I just re read the occupational health and safety act on tree care workers. If your employing people you must be compliant with standards. You're responsible for their safety. They regard an ISA certification as an equivalent to a trained arborist and list requirements for experience and training.

If you don't employ people, well, grey area and up to an OHS inspectors interpretation.

Sidebar....I have a lawncare, pest control, mosquito control operation.. I have my license(s) and permits through nova scotia environment. In the winter months i do tree work and pruning fo my clients.. in 10 years of spraying I've never had any attention for NSE, department of labour etc.. however i did have an inspector conduct a pressure vessel inspection on my air compressor (industrial) shortly after I bought it. Of all things, people getting hurt from exploding compressors must be a common occurrence.

Back