arborist cuts arm, bleeds to death (Van BC Nov 23 2004)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gord

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm sure it's pretty clear what the deceased did wrong here...no details as to how he was tied in but i would guess he only had a flipline, purely speculation. pretty sad tho, a very needless death.

Originally posted by Treeman14
NEVER work alone. EVER.

I gotta second that one.

This work is too dangerous to do without someone there to get your back.

I am a believer in the "never work alone" mentalitiy. I have however gone solo when no help was available. In this particular case it sounds as if a non-climbing helper would not have been much help. Run and call an ambulance and then go watch the victim bleed to death vs. call an ambulance then climb up there and apply direct pressure. I know some will say administer first aid right away but without a call for help, all the first aid in the world may not help.

some of my most enjoyable days climbing have been alone. High exposure? Certainly, but attention to detail is what keeps us safe.

Work alone if you wish to. Don't cut yourself! Don't tie yourself in in such a way that you cannot descend one-handed and injured. Sorry about this man's death but having an addition witness may have been no help.:(

I'd be willing to bet that this was not an experienced climber with documented training. By documented I mean 5 or more years of ojt or an acrt, arbormaster, Davey, etc. climbing school. I wear an arborwear belt (my employees are required to wear them also) because it can be used as a tourniquet in an emergency. Chances are I'd use my throw line from my dity bag with a trucker hitch. Even if you can't climb down if you tourniquet your arm you'll probably live. This is another unfortunate accident that probably could have been prevented with education and training. It's things like this that make the holidays sad for people. You know there is a thanksgiving table somewhere that is mourning the loss of this man.

I have worked by myself many, many times and have always felt safe. These one man jobs are those that entailed mostly a handsaw, occaisionally my 020T. Careful attention is what is required when working alone and as was already mentioned, always be able to descent one handed.

Here in Krautland, legally required to have 2 climbers trained in aerial rescue at all times.

That is fine and all, but most of the time, I find it impractical. Price wise especially. Hard to charge time for 2 climbers when one is needed and be competitive.

Nathan,
Don't you love it when the government is so concerned with our safety, that to be legal, they make our overhead so high we cannot compete with the door knockers. I don't think your average home owner in Germany will know, or even care, the law requires 2 climbers on site.

Originally posted by Koa Man
the government is so concerned with our safety, that to be legal, they make our overhead so high we cannot compete
Copy that; way too much regulation. I'd love to have some regulator come by and tell me to get out of a tree until another climber came in. S/he'd better wear a hard hat.

Solo pruning is usually no problem; solo heavy work is not so smart. I've worn myself out climbing down to untie knots off pieces I'd rigged and then back up again.

I train my groundies in aerial rescue. My life may depend on it. They usually don't even come close to passing the first three months. It also lets me know early if a guy has climbing potential. We do practice aerial rescue once a month. Usually takes about 90 minutes to set up, get everyone through and take down. I believe it is time well spent.

I try not to work alone but sometimes it is better for me. I don't operate a chainsaw aloft alone. Just on the smaller pruning jobs. What made him an arborist? climbing? Arborist tops alder? No topping. That was one of the first things they taught us. Climb safe.

Latest posts

Back