Arborist, logs wanted Massachusetts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteindustries

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,Looking for hardwood logs delivered to Ipswich Ma 01938.I know guys in my area are paying to get rid of them.I'll pay travel time and fuel for them.Needed for firewood business.As you know we dont get rich so please be reasonable.
Thank You.Allan White, cell#978-618-1429,email; [email protected]

Last edited:
Must be different up your way !

Guess you have it different up your way!
Arborist are paying up to $250 a load down here where there is over population to get rid of wood!Allot of old growth going threw the grinder to become mulch.
You find a cheap trucker to make the trip and I am sure you can find the wood!What are you paying???
An acre of commercial land down here is $250,00 plus, what does land cost up where you are?
Those are the facts,get over it!

Logs wanted

Hello,I wish I could afford workable land in my area.I have lived down here most of my thirty nine years and cannot afford to be here anymore.Looking to head north,I'll take the yuppies money at their ski houses.
Typical house/property tax in my area is around $5,000 per year.Hard to work with your hands and afford to live here.You throw in high insurance cost in Massachusetts and I dont know how a small business survives.It cost about $2,500 to put my 1989 one ton dump on the road for a year.That is insane!

Property taxes in my neighborhood are somewhere around $10,000 / year. Many cases more, few cases less. I worked for a guy last year who was on <10 acres in a very affluent town. I heard through the grapevine that he pays $30,000 / year in property taxes.

Cost of doing business,I guess

It is crazy,I guess government just keeps spending yet our roads are falling apart.Just where is all this cash going?
That $5k tax is on our what they call starter houses,the cheapest listing I've seen here in the past six months was $268,000 and that was for a knock down and rebuild.Crazy I tell you.
I found a nice 2 bedroom cape on two acres zoned agricultural for $79k, just about one hour north of here,away I go!
I'll take the yuppies money at their ski/snowmobile houses.

Re: Logs wanted

Originally posted by Whiteindustries
.It cost about $2,500 to put my 1989 one ton dump on the road for a year.That is insane!

You are right, that is insane. It only cost me $1600 to insure my 2004 one-ton dump. I'm sure you pay some more because of our differences in geography, but you must have a few points on your license?

Nobody gives away wood around here. I've had three calls from Quebec this year from log buyers "looking for the hardwoods logs.":D

Clean driving record class B cdl for nine years

Hello,The lowest quote here in Mass for a commercial one ton dump doing wholesale and retail deliveries has been $1,600 plus reg and sales tax.The highest has been $2,200 plus.
I had a clean driving record for nine years now isnt Massachusetts wonderful?Three of the insurance companies that I called do not write commercial anymore at all.When I had my tri axles and ten wheelers it averaged about $3,300 a truck!
Cant wait to head north!

Actually Maine just over nh boarder

Hello,Last years taxes on property that I am buying where $296 (per year).I guess it has something to do with the zoneing.The trick will be to live in Maine and lease land 10 minutes away in NH for my business.
Born and raised in Massachusetts, had enough,listed as one of the top ten(worse), most exspensive to start and run a small business in the country.
NH was the fifth Best in the country; critiera included housing, fed taxes ,insurance etc.

Re: Must be different up your way !

Guess you have it different up your way!

Normal people will pay $1500 (CAN) for a big log truck with pup which contains about 13 full cord. I obviosly don't pay that kind of money myself. With all the firewood I sell I'd be poor. I try and get special deals where I cut trees down and get to keep them. I gotta do all the work and provide all the machinery though. Deffinatly no getting it delivered on a truck. ;) For example a guy I know built a house in the middle of a hardwood bush. I clear cut about 2 acres and got a lot of good wood. I get wood from a place where they're putting in a new golf course........same deal. I remove them. I keep them. Right now I'm logging for a company and I get truck loads of wood from them.

Arborist are paying up to $250 a load down here where there is over population to get rid of wood!Allot of old growth going threw the grinder to become mulch.
You find a cheap trucker to make the trip and I am sure you can find the wood!What are you paying???

A cheap trucker would be nice. The best deal I can get is a huge tractor trailer for $85 (CAN) per hour. That works alright for getting scrap log ends from a sawmill 30 miles away, but not for going to the United States. :p

I'm not going to that place anymore by the way. The scrap logs get pushed together with an industrial loader. And when they load it with that same loader there's a few tonnes of dirt and rocks in every tractor trailer full.

An acre of commercial land down here is $250,00 plus, what does land cost up where you are?

Lets see. Top quality hard wood bush can run from $2000-$3000 (CAN). Plowable farm land $800/acre. Wilderness, swamps and non loggable forsets such as hawthorn widlerness and pasture fields that have gotten over growm with small trees can go very cheap. A guy bought 220 acres of hunting land for $65000.

An acre of commercial space in Owen Sound (and that's a town of 20000 population) can run from $50 000 to $200 000. Small building lots $30 000 to $150 000 (downtown and waterfront) $15 000 to $40 000 (outskirts of town, near a village or rural). Basiacally you can get a house in town with almost no land, or you can get the same house on a 100 acre farm with some hardwood bush 10-20 miles from town for about the same price.

I don't know what normal people pay for property tax. But I'm betting it's far less than what you guys are paying. A few thousand per year should easily cover most middle class homes for property tax.

A truck of any size up to 1 ton costs maybe $600 a year to insure. That's liability, no colision insurance, and you have a clean driving record. Trucks over a ton have to be insured commercially and then they have to be saftied every 2 years, so that could get costly. Obviosly nobody in thier right mind is going to insure a 1 ton or smaller as commercial if they don't have to, even if they deliver firewood with it or whatever.

DISCLAIMER: I'm guessing at the exact numbers. I'm not a real estate agent or an isurance broker, so some of the numbers may off because they are estimated based on my own experince and what I pay and what people I know in my area have told me they pay. :angel:

Why not just raise your prices? Sounds cheaper than the cost of livinh around here :confused:

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Just bought 2.2 acres for $120k.

Nick , for commercial land????? I just cancelled a contract for 2.25 acres at $120k residential, only because the septic system was estimated to cost 70-100k!!!!! I waited 3 months to find that out:angry:

Commercial property here has sky rocketed, I know of 2- <3/4 acre lots that are in crappy areas going for over 400k.

Cost of business

Hello,just got of the phone wth a gent up in NB been in the business over thirty years ,seems they closed the big mill up that way leaving everyone high and dry.The yard full of stock!
I asked him if he was going to haul down to Maine and he said that the mills paying down there where almost at capacity and wont be taking pulp much longer.Plus, he said his government frowns on raw materal crossing the boarder.Processed is ok but raw is not.
I thought all the wood was being used?Why are they still shutting down mills?Any insight on this?

Re: Cost of business

I thought all the wood was being used?Why are they still shutting down mills?Any insight on this?

Because our domestic paper mills can't compete in the international market.

I guess pulp and firewood logs will come crashing back to earth again. I hope the guys with all their production stacked in the mill yards have been paid. The mills have shut their doors before after using up inventory and screwed the loggers out of their money.

Todd, my sister just bought a place in Potomac Falls about 9 months ago. They call it a house but it is more like a condo w/ garage on a lot w/ 10 - 15 offsets from the neighbors on all 3 sides. Paid $300K then, just appraised for $400K. Mad building projects going on down there.

Now that I see the word "pulp" floating around I just want to clarify that I'm talking about hardwood, preferably hard maple. I woudn't give a dime for softwood or evergreen logs.

Newfie, you mean Great Falls? Near the Potomac river. That's an upscale area, well this whole area is now upscale! Been looking for over a year for a place with a bigger yard, upped the price I'm willing to spend to almost double and still can't find anything within 20 miles. Good things come to those who wait...

Originally posted by Toddppm
Newfie, you mean Great Falls? Near the Potomac river. That's an upscale area, well this whole area is now upscale!

Nope, Potomac Falls, off of the Alogonkian Parkway, near where they are building the monster huge catholic church. Her inlaws live in Great Falls, they wanted to but couldn't afford that neighborhood.
The best thing about her neighborhood is that it's not too far from a Dunkin' Donuts!:D Supposedly they are gonna build a stadium in or near Sterling to house the Expos?

Back