Arborists, advise me on what to do with this Flowering Dogwood Tree. (lots of pix)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This tree is in my front yard. It flower's beautifully in the spring and I really want to save it. It's twin was taken out by a bolt of lightning years ago :(
I know what I feel needs to be done, but with a few other's opinions I may gather some better insight.

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0315.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

Thank you.
-Chad

This tree is in my front yard. It flower's beautifully in the spring and I really want to save it. It's twin was taken out by a bolt of lightning years ago :(
I know what I feel needs to be done, but with a few other's opinions I may gather some better insight.

DSCN0311.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0315.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

DSCN0312.jpg

Thank you.
-Chad
i think its got a lot or character , do a little trimming maybe reduce the canopy so if it gets loaded with snow or ice it does'nt snap .keep an eye on that tear at the bottom ants destroy dogwoods

I need to relieve some of the leaning pressure that is pulling higher portion of the stump apart. I can't believe it has survived these last couple wind storms.
Thanks for the reply...I've always loved this tree especially in bloom. Absolutely gorgeous.....

First off that's not a flowering dogwood. I'd say more along the lines of flowering pear.

Other than that, crown reduction to keep those limbs from breaking, and some low N fert.

I would give that heavy side a serious thrashing to balance it up a bit and take preasure off the split as already mentioned. I would try to save it, you can always cut it down later. It looks like it will take a beating and not even blink.

keep it long and put a cable in it so if it does brake it will be above the cable. also plant a new pear in a better spot and wait for flowers;)

what are them marks for?
I'm trying to save this tree. I do not want to cut it down. The trunk is splitting and I need to release some weight off of that side of the tree? Or should I just put a rod through the split trunk and hope for the best?

Last edited:
Hey Chad I would maybe try to trim back to a leader of some kind. Then every couple years prune to shape, maybe?

one limb sprawls a lot with no good laterals visible so consider removing it.

reduce another sprawler, then small thinning/reduction cuts where the sprouts are thick.

Your tree had decades of neglect, and then catastrophic damage, so don't expect it to look good again tomorrow.

There was liberal disregard for the tree's structural needs, maybe from being conservative with money by not calling an arborist in sooner. now the tree needs a liberal reshaping and its longterm prognosis is poor.

o and i read p 496 and it's clear that ants are the least of this tree's problems

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back