Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyJ530

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My name is Buddy and I don't know anything about yards, shrubs, trees, etc. I am a total beginner. My wife and I just moved into a home that was last owned by a hoarder, so it has 30+ yrs of overgrowth. I've slowly been cutting things and we need help with a tree near our driveway. We think its a dogwood (please feel free to correct us, again we are clueless), but a few roots have grown out of the ground. It looks like they grew that way because it's so close to the driveway. We really like the tree and it looks beautiful when it blooms, but we wanted to do something about the roots, if we could. A couple of my questions are:

1. Are these roots or are they crazy big branches?
2. Can mulch or dirt be put around it to help cover them and look better?
3. Can these roots be cut?
4. Does anyone have general advice on what to do with the tree?
5. Should I just leave it alone? (We do plan on trying to grow grass around it).
6. Does the tree look healthy?

Thank you very much. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I've attached pictures, please let me know if there is anything I can take pictures of to help. I don't really use forums that often, so if I miss a question or am delayed in replying please be patient with me, lol. Again, thank you for any help you can offer.20220424_100148.jpg20220424_100213.jpg20220320_095137.jpg20220320_095117.jpg

Does anyone think this tree may have had too much mulch piled around the base at an earlier time?
Excessive mulch, or soil, can sometimes encourage roots to grow about the surface.
Just wondering.

Looks like a flowing cherry. Cut out the small girdling root on the back side, don't cut any of the larger roots. Cover as much of the larger odd surface roots with mulch without piling the mulch onto the tree trunk.
Enjoy your tree.
Will do. Which one is the small girdling root? Again I'm so new to all of this, just want to make sure I'm getting the right one. 20220424_171450.jpg

My name is Buddy and I don't know anything about yards, shrubs, trees, etc. I am a total beginner. My wife and I just moved into a home that was last owned by a hoarder, so it has 30+ yrs of overgrowth. I've slowly been cutting things and we need help with a tree near our driveway. We think its a dogwood (please feel free to correct us, again we are clueless), but a few roots have grown out of the ground. It looks like they grew that way because it's so close to the driveway. We really like the tree and it looks beautiful when it blooms, but we wanted to do something about the roots, if we could. A couple of my questions are:

1. Are these roots or are they crazy big branches?
2. Can mulch or dirt be put around it to help cover them and look better?
3. Can these roots be cut?
4. Does anyone have general advice on what to do with the tree?
5. Should I just leave it alone? (We do plan on trying to grow grass around it).
6. Does the tree look healthy?

Thank you very much. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I've attached pictures, please let me know if there is anything I can take pictures of to help. I don't really use forums that often, so if I miss a question or am delayed in replying please be patient with me, lol. Again, thank you for any help you can offer.View attachment 983484View attachment 983485View attachment 983483View attachment 983482
Hi Buddy, congratulations on your new home! Based on the pictures you provided and as Raintree mentioned, it looks like you have a flowing cherry tree, not a dogwood. If you're concerned about any further potential damage to your driveway, you may want to consider consulting a professional tree service company for advice on how to manage them. However, the tree looks healthy and doesn't need anything specific to thrive. It's great that you're taking an interest in your yard, and I hope you enjoy your beautiful tree!

Back