Arborwear RAC Chaps (long size) Rookie Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of chaps based on a reddit post. I never in my life can remember seeing someone wear protective gear while chainsawing and I'm just getting into chainsaws myself, so I'm treating this like motorcycling. I wear ATGATT (all the gear all the time) on a bike, which also has a chain, sprockets, and danger, so no reason not to gear up for this. I'm sure I'll get laughed at sometime, but so what; I have to wear full PPE at work, so I'm used to it. I'm 6'3 245 with 44" outseam and 36" inseam. I would say the long is slightly short for me, but it's better than nothing. I'm wearing Muck rubbers which are pretty big in the ankle and thigh; the wrap was better on my Thorogood leather steel toes, but the length was unchanged.

These chaps cost $105 in long size. All of the buckle straps and belt is made of a heavy and somewhat stretchable band. The belt is labeled as "cut to length" but it has a nice keeper so you DON'T cut anything. I also like that the belt is a full 2-inches and the heavy fastex buckle is on the right side, so it doesn't interfere with your pants buckle. I mainly wore the chaps belt right on top of my regular belt, but I also pulled it up past my pants belt some and it wore fine that way also. I wore them for four hours over cotton pants cutting out tops of a fallen oak without issue. They didn't shift or bunch up and they didn't snag on anything while I was walking through the tops.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, but I want to point out that many advertisements/seller descriptions list these with 1680D on the outside. I've posted the tag showing this is NOT the case with the currently available product. Also note that adjustable means you can move the straps up or down to find the most secure or comfortable place. I didn't move the calf straps but I did move the thigh strap down one position to keep it from moving and digging into my hamstring. Also note that there is no crotch protection; there's just a stretch band holding the two leg panels together there. Makes it easy to nature break without doffing the chaps tho.

Attachments

• 1 Tape.jpg
    1 Tape.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2 Holding.jpg
    2 Holding.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 10
  • 3 Front.jpg
    3 Front.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 4 Left.jpg
    4 Left.jpg