Close call on Sunday!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kunte

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had a close call this Sunday helping my junior out dropping some Bluegums...

The rope we had used to pull the tree over with the excavator became pinned under a bough, and I went to cut it free. However, I did not want to work under the heavy, overhanging boughs, so I decided to trim them off first.... the boughs were about a foot above my head. I immediately thought about the common rule: "Don't cut above shoulder height". But why? Well, I was about to find out....

As I cut through the bough (it had about an 8-10 inch diameter, it dropped sharply, and drove the saw down with it.... straight onto my thigh..... thankfully, the fibres from the protective pants stopped the chain in short order. I did not even realize what had happened until it was too late. Thank the Lord the chain did not make it past the fibres, so I walked away with only a bruised ego and destroyed sawyer trousers.... not even a scratch!

Lessons learnt:

1. Don't be in a hurry! I wanted to get the rope out to get started on the next tree, and acted hastily.
2. Don't cut above shoulder height... why? Now I know! People are too weak (at least I am) to stop a saw being driven downward by gravity and a falling (pushing) bow....
3. Even if I had known what was coming, I would NOT have had time to activate the chain brake.
4. I have said it before, but ALWAYS, ALWAYS, wear your safety gear!

Hope this helps prevent something similar from happening to someone else. Picking up new trousers this Thursday!

A very grateful Mike signing out....

20221211_162911.jpg20221211_162859.jpg

Yep, good of you to post that, and even better that your ok, albeit a bit shaken up.

you think your doing ok, then stuff happens and you realise your just an observer whilst it happens.

people make fun of ppe, but its so worth the investment and time to put on, your experience you shared shows why its so worth the time and investment to use.

Hope it never happens again.

Yep, good of you to post that, and even better that your ok, albeit a bit shaken up.

you think your doing ok, then stuff happens and you realise your just an observer whilst it happens.

people make fun of ppe, but its so worth the investment and time to put on, your experience you shared shows why its so worth the time and investment to use.

Hope it never happens again.
Thanks, Trains!

I've always said I feel like a passenger in life! So, my observer status was confirmed!

Keep safe out there!

Mike

Sharing your incident with others on the site will probably save them from getting injured or worse.
Hang them pants up in your garage as a reminder plus if someone visits and they see them it may make them think.
Take a photo of them send it to the manufacturer with a letting saying how they protected you, you may get a new pair.
Stay Safe.

Had a close call this Sunday helping my junior out dropping some Bluegums...

The rope we had used to pull the tree over with the excavator became pinned under a bough, and I went to cut it free. However, I did not want to work under the heavy, overhanging boughs, so I decided to trim them off first.... the boughs were about a foot above my head. I immediately thought about the common rule: "Don't cut above shoulder height". But why? Well, I was about to find out....

As I cut through the bough (it had about an 8-10 inch diameter, it dropped sharply, and drove the saw down with it.... straight onto my thigh..... thankfully, the fibres from the protective pants stopped the chain in short order. I did not even realize what had happened until it was too late. Thank the Lord the chain did not make it past the fibres, so I walked away with only a bruised ego and destroyed sawyer trousers.... not even a scratch!

Lessons learnt:

1. Don't be in a hurry! I wanted to get the rope out to get started on the next tree, and acted hastily.
2. Don't cut above shoulder height... why? Now I know! People are too weak (at least I am) to stop a saw being driven downward by gravity and a falling (pushing) bow....
3. Even if I had known what was coming, I would NOT have had time to activate the chain brake.
4. I have said it before, but ALWAYS, ALWAYS, wear your safety gear!

Hope this helps prevent something similar from happening to someone else. Picking up new trousers this Thursday!

A very grateful Mike signing out....

View attachment 1040562View attachment 1040563
Yup ,happened to me too... The chainsaw "crawled" up my left lower part of pants/jeans... But my pants were much thinner then yours,I think I hit the chain brake with my right hand accidentally in that fraction of second when it decided to go up my leg...
Because as like you ,I was with my hand on the acceleration, didn't had time to react to the fast moving chainsaw...
One thing is clear: I need to pay more attention when I cut anything with the chainsaw and forget about getting a bigger one until I "master" using this one( 61cc makita 6100,but was thinking about Husqvarna 395 xp...) .
Good thing you got away without cuts on you...
I too had the chainsaw stop when it was mm, cms from the left knee 🙄🤔🤕
Still don't know how or why I was that lucky
Cheers and take care!

I admit I sometimes feel like a wimpy nerd in my orange chaps when other guys are just in their jeans, but posts like this get me over that feeling.
Jeans are nothing... On legs you need something to stop a sharp chain driven by a fast 2 stroke engine(powerfull enough...)
It also helps to use a chainsaw with automatic chain brake,for example when it hits your hand if it decides to "go for your face" 😁 for no reason...

Making the choice to wear PPE is a solid yes for protecting yourself. The overall cost is very small compared to medical bills and time for recovery, or even death. Even preventing life time of disabilities.

Thanks for sharing your experience and may it be a wake up enlightenment for some on the fence to wear or purchase PPE.

Yup ,happened to me too... The chainsaw "crawled" up my left lower part of pants/jeans... But my pants were much thinner then yours,I think I hit the chain brake with my right hand accidentally in that fraction of second when it decided to go up my leg...
Because as like you ,I was with my hand on the acceleration, didn't had time to react to the fast moving chainsaw...
One thing is clear: I need to pay more attention when I cut anything with the chainsaw and forget about getting a bigger one until I "master" using this one( 61cc makita 6100,but was thinking about Husqvarna 395 xp...) .
Good thing you got away without cuts on you...
I too had the chainsaw stop when it was mm, cms from the left knee 🙄🤔🤕
Still don't know how or why I was that lucky
Cheers and take care!
It’s actually the opposite. Chainsaws aren’t like dirtbikes. The larger saws can be safer and easier to control.

My wife thought the extra gear was ridiculous when I bought it 10+ years ago. That same summer her mom caught her Carhartt coveralls with her MS291 and luckily just knicked her leg (seriously just a scrape). She got chaps after that and my wife no longer questioned safety gear. It is so cheap (even the expensive versions) when you consider medical bills and recovery time.

Back