Are binoculars of much use in tree work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys use binoculars to check ropes, branches, hornet nests, etc, and if so recommend me a pair. I guess it has to have quite a close focus feature for it to be useful

Thanks!

Dean

Yes I have a monocular that I keep in my lunch bag. Been doin 100-150' lightning protection inspection. So I can't see where to set a line if I can't see where the lighting wire goes. Good for tree inspection as well. Small animals and f***ing bees are good to spot with it. Work the $35 I paid for mine. Found a large, VERY LARGE honey bees nest in an oak tree that was hollow and the tree is filled with them. With out my monocular I would have climbed it and would either be in the hospital or dead. Just buy a cheap one so if you take it up the tree and brake it is no big deal.

Yes, they are very useful, I carry a them in my truck, very useful if you run into a standing rotting snag to check out for decay in major limbs that someone wants an estimate on for removal that should have been done five years ago, also handy for seeing bad limbs, hazards in the crown of a tree.

I asked this same question about two years ago, there is a thread buried in the archives, in the commerical section, got some good replies to the thread and a short discussion about optics.

Larry

Back