Are Hyway piston/cylinder kits any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Stihl TS 420 concrete cut saw 50mm bore needs a piston & cylinder kit. I found a Hyway aftermarket kit for $89 the OEM Stihl wants $289. Are Hyway brand kits any good?

Call Henry at Weedeaterman and he will have a suggestion on your best option for that saw.

For what it's worth...I have installed several Hyway kits from Henry (weedeaterman) in saws and have not had any problems. Thes saws are either used daily or when used used hard( but not abused).
Looked at a cylinder/piston on an 036 Pro I built and ported over a year ago and it looks like new. The guy runs av gas and 40-1 Stihl Ultra.....and he uses it hard. He's not a very big guy and this is now his go to saw instead of his MS460 or Husky390. He likes the power to weight ratio.

I know a concrete saw is a differant animal but the kits for them should be the same quality.

Like Duce said...give Henry a call...he will gladly help and stear you in the right direction!! GREAT GUY!!!

I've used a number of hyway kits and was very impressed with the plating and ports. No problems yet.

I haven't used any of the Hyway kits myself. Like any piston/cylinder kit, make sure the ports are cleaned and free of burrs or casting flash. I sometimes use a Dremel or micro air grinder if I want to do more than smooth them, otherwise, a worn chain file does a good job if you're careful. I just received a Chinese kit in the mail today for an MS250 that needs it. Anxious to do it but have a clearing job to do first that involves about 20 trees. Those will come in handy for the upcoming Georgia GTG.

Latest posts

Back