Are snap locks unsafe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned by others, the only issue I have had with my snap is they work very intuitively. clicking in became something I stopped thinking about with my lanyard. Once I clicked the snap to my hip and assumed the click sound meant it was properly attached. I would have fallen when I leaned back had I not been roped in as well. Needless to say I look every time I make the snap now. I found the triple action beaners are by there nature to difficult to snap into place smoothly and consequently it forces me to pay attention.

Yup, I almost made the same mistake several years back. Now I give a little tug every time I clip in to make sure I'm connected. I got in a habit of doing that. Just takes a millisecond to make sure your safe. I think they should base standards on the likelihood of equipment failure, not operator error.

Are double locking rope snaps unsafe? Maybe. But are chainsaws, handsaws, pocket knifes, ropes, etc., etc.safe? Maybe someone should make them all illeagal to use.

Are double locking rope snaps unsafe? Maybe. But are chainsaws, handsaws, pocket knifes, ropes, etc., etc.safe? Maybe someone should make them all illeagal to use.

:clap:tree work is illegal unsafe so we all can go home:hmm3grin2orange:
It is dangerous to just drive down the freaking street in many hoods!

are snap locks/snap hooks/rope snaps/ snaps safe?

Nice one Treepanda
I contend that there is nothing wrong with whatever you want to call them. Rock solid in the right hands. And way more robust in the hands of employees. Just to clarify a few points:
NZ labour safety rules do currently allow there use.
The ITCC comp rules allow for their use:2.2.8 All rope snaps shall be of the self-closing, locking type.
I understand there is going to be a rule change that says all gear needs to be standard minimum 22kn and marked with a rating.

Confusion seems to stem from applying the caribiner rule to snap hooks as the NZTCC officials have done.

ie2.2.9 A carabiner used as part of a climber’s primary fall-protection/work-positioning system shall be manufactured to meet or exceed the minimum accepted industry safety standard. It shall be self-closing and double auto-locking and shall require a minimum of two separate operations to prepare the gate to open. Failure to abide by this rule may result in disqualification. (2007)

Now there is an impression that they are no longer safe to use doing the real work and that they should be banned. Simple fact is there are very few cases of whoopsies with snaps (mostly climber error) but there are tonnes of accidents with caribiners so can't see there being a basis for the heat to go on a piece of gear with a great reputation. I also can't see all the employers down here chucking away all their snap hooks all that fast either. It will way easier to crossload a biner in a lanyard to 'D' situation than would a snap.

oh and one last thing..all our snaps come out of the USA so I figure if there good for you boys....

The same can happen with any moving part of a carabiner or other device so this is a maintenance/safety inspection issue IMO.

I've used both for years and have had more problems with snaps then with carrabiners. With the latter, it is fine material that is a problem. With the snaps, it is large sawdust and bark that I've had to tap out from time to time.

Common sense sez: Don't just shake, but look at it as well as the weaker point that no one has mentioned, the ring hitch, I am way more concerned about that when I weight my flipline than the locking snap.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back