Are stumps good for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthomas77

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Like the title says...there is an ad on CL for ash stumps that were dug up. Wondering if it would be worth my while to get them....

Not most of the stumps I've seen.

But it depends. I got a load of 300 lb pine stumps when I lived up in the Colorado mountains that were practically petrified, they were so loaded with pitch. Trying to split a chunk off those stumps was courting disaster, but once I got pieces off, a chunk the size of a basketball would burn hot for hours.

Like Ductape so eloquently put it, they arent worth anything,thats why someone is trying to sucker someone in to haul them away for them.Unless.....

You want to spend countless hours dragging them into a trailer, taking them down to a car wash, and spend $74,000 worth of quarters trying to get all the dirt off.
Then spend another $1300 dollars in chains that you will dull up,no matter how much you wash wood,the dirt gets crammed into the bark,root balls,and crevices in the wood.

Then plan on replacing $600 worth of bars as the grit eats up the bar.Oh, and throw in another $70 bucks for worn out sprockets.

I dont know what it costs to recieve treatment at the Ford Clinic for EWS(exasperated woodcutters syndrome)but you might want to sock away a few bucks for that.I hear the jello is really good there this time of year.Besides, vacations are nice,right?

But,you might make a friend off of craigslist.Maybe its a lonely woman that posted the ad.Maybe shes hot!

Like Ductape so eloquently put it, they arent worth anything,thats why someone is trying to sucker someone in to haul them away for them.Unless.....

You want to spend countless hours dragging them into a trailer, taking them down to a car wash, and spend $74,000 worth of quarters trying to get all the dirt off.
Then spend another $1300 dollars in chains that you will dull up,no matter how much you wash wood,the dirt gets crammed into the bark,root balls,and crevices in the wood.

Then plan on replacing $600 worth of bars as the grit eats up the bar.Oh, and throw in another $70 bucks for worn out sprockets.

I dont know what it costs to recieve treatment at the Ford Clinic for EWS(exasperated woodcutters syndrome)but you might want to sock away a few bucks for that.I hear the jello is really good there this time of year.Besides, vacations are nice,right?

But,you might make a friend off of craigslist.Maybe its a lonely woman that posted the ad.Maybe shes hot!

Thats what I said ! :cheers:

:clap:

I don't believe it CAN be said any better!

Hey, if you need wood for a big outdoor bonfire, maybe, but otherwise, RUN from that deal!

:agree2: Only if she's real hot...

I try to stay away from cutting anything with dirt on it.

The add -

I have several stumps that were dug up last year all piled up. If you have any need for them...come and get them. Please call 440-4908. Thanks

Black powder time.

value in stumps

You might find a wood carver or gun stock maker who will take something like a walnut stump, but that's all the interest I've seen in my area.

If it's a pine stump you could make your own fatwood.

I burn apple stumps in campfires, but usually they are small and easy to move. No chainsaw necessary. That is about all they are good for.

stumps

If you're talking root ball and a couple inches of wood, I wouldn't put anything to them but a carbide chain and I'd leave them out in the rain for a winter before messing with them, even then. Use a bark spud or one of those rolling grinders that fits a saw to clean where you're going to cut. All the things said above regarding saw and chain wear still apply. I've cut a lot of almond stumps, right down to ground level and they will mess up your chains. A carbide chain works OK, but they're expensive, difficult to sharpen, and you can still damage them if you hit a rock of any size. One thing you can do with a bunch of stump and root ball stuff is just run it through the splitter if you have a good commercial splitter. Bite the roots off and square up the stump, then split it.

If you're talking more than a foot of above ground, then take them and clean as above. For hardwoods and fruitwoods, the roots burn as good or better than heartwood.

Remember the cube square law. Volume is proportional to the cube of the radius, so you get proportionally more wood out of the same length piece as the diameter increases.

I split a few old locust stumps that have been down for years. Though there is no sawing and the smaller roots have since broken off. Tougher than any crotch of a tree. Even after 5-6 years there is still so much junk on the surface I wouldn't put a chain to it.
Larger ones are great for campfires.

Latest posts

Back