Are you a true diehard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The combined incomes of my wife and me, with no kids, puts us squarely in upper middle class.

New money and self made, well off people tend to stick to the habits that made them that way. My friend classied me as a "white-neck" in that I hold down a white collar job but still do a lot of what he perceives as red neck things.

Cheap is cheap, no matter how much money you have.

So what I'm saying is, yes I would, yes I wood.

Although I'd be burning a Froling FHG with about 2000 gallons of pressurized water storage, but that's a minor thing.

If money was no object? I'd have electric radiant floor heating and one of those propane gas fake woodstoves. They throw out a lot of heat. Then I'd be gone with the ugly woodstack.

I live in where folks come to be in the outdoors. If I want to "go to the woods/outdoors I open my door and go outside. There are wilderness areas within a 45 minute drive, and huckleberries to pick.

As it is, it might really be more economic to heat with the electricity here. But it cycles on and off, is noisy, and we have the occasional storm to knock it out.

Yes, I'd go with the propane fake woodstove. They are clean and heat about the same.

Well lets see.. Have MS.. Had a spinal tap this past thursday. I'm still packing my fire wood in and stoking the stove. I sure hope the migraine and neck pains leave soon.. Do i qualify under your standards? :msp_unsure:

Im slow but steady all summer here.. 5 to 7 cords of wood a year..

Of course you are. Im in the same boat as you not ms but dam near whole spine fused. Peck away at it a little at a time to the pain gets to bad. But I really love doing it. Dont make it a job but like a hobby.:msp_thumbup:

I could have heated for natural gas for the next 10 years for what I have in saws and wood furnaces and triple wall pipes. Still like my wood.

I would still do it! I got pissed one year and bought an OWB because the propane guy was trying to give me the shaft. I had always had an add on for supplemental heat and the shop was totally wood fired. I now am lucky to have an indoor desk job at least 75% of the time so I mainly do it to keep the waist line in check(I like my beer). My wife wouldn't like me home in her way all the time either!

Ditto the others. If money was no object, I'd upgrade my IWB, get a nice splitter with a log lift, and a heavy-hitter Stihl or Husky. Maybe a nice quad with a trailer. Oh, and better safety gear. I'd upgrade my wood storage with a roof instead of just using plastic. Maybe finally put in the wood loading chute I've been dreaming out (I heat from my basement). Finish my HotPi controller. I might shell out for plastic pallets instead of replacing my wood ones every few years when they rot out.

I might even give the kids a raise for their help stacking and making kindling bundles. A small one.

I love wood.

Diehard wood burner

We have central propane furnace it hardly ever comes on.Love being out doors and cutting ,splitting and logging trees out.Its great exercise!!:rock::rock::rock:

Guess I am hardcore

Just like it, would do it. Not rich at all, proly the bottom of the barrel on this site for income, but..propane comes with the rent, but I dont use it at all, just go get wood, way more fun to me. I quit hunting years ago, this is my sport/hobby/recreation, wooding. Helps with my back and is good exercise, if I dont do wooding and similar, heck, Id be crippled up all the way into a wheelchair. Use it or lose it.

It also seems just silly and wasteful to me to burn fossil fuels when I am surrounded by trees.

Unlimited funds, my own place, proly earth bermed structure (storm proofing plus insulation value) and a combo of active and passive solar..and there would still be wood burning in the mix somehow.

Would I ???

I've been retired 10 years come September. Don't have to worry at all about money or the cost if I were to turn on the gas for heat. Only gas I use is to heat the water heater.

I enjoy cutting and splitting my firewood. I really enjoy the great feeling of the heat from a wood burning stove. So I intend to continue cutting and burning no matter how cheap natural gas ever becomes ( never ).

Nosmo

I cut and split because I enjoy it. It's good exercise and theraputic.
I share a lot of what I cut with family and a few of my older neighbors. I only burn about half of what I cut.

And some added incentive

Just got our utility bill. We have central air/heat, stove and water heater, all natural gas. Our bill?

Gas Supply - $9.95
Misc BS Charges - $25.99
Daily Consumption - 0.4 therms
Avg. Daily Temp - 35 degrees

Another excuse for diehardness...

Just got our utility bill. We have central air/heat, stove and water heater, all natural gas. Our bill?

Gas Supply - $9.95
Misc BS Charges - $25.99
Daily Consumption - 0.4 therms
Avg. Daily Temp - 35 degrees

Another excuse for diehardness...

I'm curious to see what others are experiencing. Heating 2800 sq ft, old/drafty windows and doors (1964 construction). Indoor wood boiler plus oil backup. Since October we've burned about 3 cords and used about 150 gallons of oil, so figure $0 for the wood and $570 for oil. (We still heat our hot water with oil, and we don't want the nanny to be messing with the wood boiler on the days my wife is working.)

Not bad. This is a new house for us so we're still getting our routine down. Kinda hard - the weather has been VERY strange. Had a few colder than usual weeks, but now it's 50+ degrees today, middle of January in CT. We're only firing it once or twice a day. Bizarre.

Gas Bill Amount

I'm curious to see what others are experiencing.
Let's see -- my natural gas bill runs just over $20.00 each month all year long. I only use the gas for heating my water.

No oil bill at all. I don't buy any firewood because I scrounge around and find my own mostly right here in town. Got a lot of neighbors with large limbs and trees just falling down.

If a person is retired like me , I have the time to look around for wood to pick up or to cut up.

Nosmo

Even if I had multi millions, I would not change from wood burning to any kind of fuel or electricity for heat.

It's not a question of saving money since I do have enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life even if I were to waste a portion of it on heating fuel and electricity. There's just something about getting out there, felling my own trees and processing them down to firewood and mulch that is much more satisfying than pushing a button on a thermostat. Plus it's great exercise as well as a stress reliever.

Of course I also enjoy seeing what my bills are now compared to the way they were a couple of years back. Then comparing mine to my neighbors is always entertaining. My not having added any fuel oil to the tank and having cut my electric bill in half while their need for refills of oil or propane is ongoing as well as their increased usage of electricity during the winter months.

But, if I had millions, I would convert my electrical supply over to solar or something to go completely off grid (other than the internet) And I would purchase even more property to keep me supplied in firewood.

Millions aside. I burn because its cheap, I can get heat when power goes out, And if anything, collapse wise happens, I won't freeze. IfI was very well off, but still had to work, I would still burn. I just would not stack, load or unload, and I would get some sort of self feeder for the wood. And lots more much needed tools, like a bobcat.

Not only do I enjoy everything that comes with wood burning and cutting but I really enjoy looking at my old 450 electric bills and comparing them to my 110 dollar one i got last month. Everything is electric in my house so 110 is great for me. Oh and I save about 50 bucks a month too when I stop useing :msp_thumbup:1 wall hanging gas heater.

Latest posts

Back