Ariens 34 Ton Splitter Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
I found it has a subaru engine around 10ftlbs torque, but what is the HP rating? What size pump? What diameter lines?? I got a handshake deal and gonna bring the cash to work tomorrow on a Ariens with a blown motor. Gotta kawaski on a zero turn and a tecumseh on a snow blower both looking for new homes, just want to make sure they'll be up to task. Home Dope-Oh web site doesn't help much. Any of you fellas have one of these? And will it handle a four way???? Six way???? I love to modify/hotrod my toys........ you fellas that have them post a pic or two. any modified with better blades?? I really wanted a push plate on the cylinder, but this price was tooooooo gooooddddddd to pass up. I guess I can weld a blade on the end of the beam and make it a push plate design............... any of you guys modify yours this way

Ok so a little google searching later, 7hp 13gpm. How do I speed things up. 22gpm? 16hp??? I gotta see what size the snow blower engine is................... any idea what pressure that cylinder can take??

Although I can't give you any help on how to speed things up (would love to hear that myself), I can vouch for the splitter in general. I've been using one I purchased new from DR Power, a local manufacturer here, and using it for a few months. In stock form I have yet to find a log it can't split. Oak, Maple, Cherry, and Poplar (laugh it up) have all been through this splitter in sizes up to 34 inches. Nothing other than a nasty knot in a wet-ass poplar (riiiight???) log have given it any trouble.

I can tell you the optional side table is in the wrong spot. For some reason Ariens put it next to the hydraulic cylinder instead of the splitting area. So, don't waste your money on that option. Definitely easier to fabricate something more useful.

And I wouldn't hesitate to put a 4-way on it. In fact, I'm looking to do that myself. Bet it would handle a 6-way without too much fuss.

The pressure will be the same whether you have 11,13, or 22 gpm 2-stage pump. The only change in operation will be speed.
Changing from a 13 gpm pump to a 22 gpm will require a higher capacity control valve, larger hoses, a different pump mount, a larger return filter, and a larger hydraulic tank. Plus at least a 12hp. engine.

To increase speed of ram means increase flow rate- just changing out for a larger capacity pump doesn't always gain much as most commercial units of that variety are 1/2" lines and ports with a lot of restrictions internally. To do it right is to change everything over to 3/4" ports and lines with high flow couplings- Likely have to take the cylinder to a shop to have it converted to 3/4" ports. On my older HF unit when I rebuilt it that is what I did with the exception of the cylinder ( lack of funds) nicked a couple seconds off but really not enough to particularly notice. Changeing the ports on the cylinder would be a huge improvement for me. But what it did do overall was to lower the working temps considerably from the very poor factory system which was running way to hot even in temps of 30 degrees. Heat is the enemy of hydraulics.

When the hydro is set up properly in an open system like this an oil cooler is not needed. Now on an automated processor that is an option and some have it. As I said above most of the commercial home owner units have so many restrictions in the hydro circuits that is where most of the heat rise is. Some are laid out better than others.

Latest posts

Back