Log Splitter Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post 142, photos of your wedge.
First, nice build.
I bought a new TW-6 Dec. 23, 2014.
Within two weeks I had a shop modify the slip on four-way wedge.
The stock wedge will run you ragged in a couple hours time.
With the modification I split off the bottom 4"-5" of large rounds.
Next resplit those, if needed, while the two big pieces remain on top of the "shelf wedge".
I had to raise the wedge with the hydraulic lift an inch or so to loosen the lower pieces to re-split the bottom pieces.
The top pieces stay on top of the wedge, out of the way but within reach, until done.
Now pull the closest top split to the log lift, and the other to the beam.
It is all very similar to the now common box wedge some six years later.
The standard TW-6 four-way is a very common design, often copied.
The standard wedge design drops wood to the ground on both sides of the splitter and behind the wedge, all of which makes much, much, more work than necessary, moving, dragging, lifting the pieces, multiple times, to re-split.
In short, the standard TW-6 wedge is an idiotic, stupid designed (probably by an engineer that never used a wood splitter) similar to most manufacturers in the delta swept back, or forward, style.
Just saying, and passing on what I wrestled with on a brand new 10k plus splitter a few years back. It's gone...to a new home somewhere in Illinois.
If your doing boiler wood I guess that works, but for wood stoves and fireplaces very poor design for smaller splits.
Pretty, but not operator friendly. Log lift is in way to comfortably operate on that side. Barely enough room to do so. Tight, pinch point if not careful with snowy, slippery wood.
IMG_1253 (1).jpgIMG_1385.jpgIMG_1434.jpg
Above: Splits fall to both sides on the ground. Ugh! Especially if it's a hundred pound chunk on the side opposite the log lift.
Below: Pulp hook used to drag, not lift, pieces to log lift or beam.IMG_1467.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1513.jpgIMG_1518.jpg

Actually the out feed table hooks on, and is removable for travel. If you don't remove it it would probably bounce off. Then again, when splitting it sometimes got knocked off or bounced loose. Had it been fixed on it probably would have got torn off.
Sometimes a knurly split would actually catch the front of the out feed table tubes. If not watching (picture using an auto split valve) it would have been destroyed.
In place of the shelve wedge, a much wider out feed table, and longer towards the log lift would allow sliding large pieces forward to the log lift to re-split.
My sister-in-law borrowed a Country Line 27 yesterday.
I had never used a tip up model. We only used it in a horizontal position. My own splitter is a kinetic, and it's been years since using hydraulic. Nice power, nicely built, but the design is terrible for operator comfort. We stacked two large rounds x 2 to make a table for staging rounds and re-splits. I only ran it for fifteen minutes, preferring to feed it instead.
It was a nice day splitting (three tanks of fuel) apart from getting stung twice. The last few rounds had a ground nest under them, which we had become aware of, so getting stung was my fault really.
Newer custom or pro splitter designs are still improving. Lost of nice stuff out there incorporating "wood flow" to and from splitter for higher volume production. High dollar machines no doubt.
You could help the ergonomics of your splitter with work tables, or out feed tables on both sides, and to the rear. Or the shelf wedge.
I met a guy who built his splitter with a sliding table on both sides of beam. As the push plate moved forward, the table moved with it. The two halves of the round fell to the sides, onto the table. Push plate returns, with table, carrying rounds back on both sides of beam.
He also had a tractor/backhoe. The hoe had a splitter to block up large tree service wood. He did not have a conveyor. Instead he used an old tele handler which he split into its bucket. He could, and did pile, 30' high.
Said his issue was deliveries. He scooped up loads to load the dump trailer, getting dirt in his wood. With multiple scoops the dirt got throughout the load and customers complained. Apart from that he had a nice operation, getting all his wood free.

The great disassembly has begun. Primer tomorrow, hopefully.

The tubes and 3D printed caps look good. whit the beam on the side I drilled the inlet tube from the tank.

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

Wife just told me there is a small fox in my mother-in-laws house. She asked me how "I" will catch it.

Heck, those are easy to catch. We used to stop and catch everyone we seen when driving down the road. Give an good kick like kicking a foot ball and they will roll up and play dead. Wear gloves because those teeth are sharp. My grandpa used to catch and place in a cage to fatten them up. He would feed them for a few weeks to "Clean" them out. Nothing like going for sunday dinner and seeing all that greasey fat floating in the stew pot. Only thing I can remember having more grease where pig feet. The Beverly Hillbillies Granny had nothing on my grandpa.

I made a lasso out of a broom and twine to get him into a cage. Then we let him go at a little park next to the Duke Mansion. He came out of the cage like a bullet and headed straight for my car. Luckily after a brief rest behind a tire, he moved on.

Testing was a catch 22... The spring mounts for the axles were just tacked on. I didn't feel confident about dragging the splitter to the hydraulic store for hoses. All cleaned up and primed.

IMG_6023.jpg
IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

It's ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Put it all together and dragged it over to Hydraulic Supply for oil and hose$ . I was worried about my tank fill math, but it worked out great. 23 gallons filled the tank and hoses.

The big disappointment was my fault on the lift and wedge valve outlets. I assumed that when you pull back on the lever, the rear port would pressurize (like the main valve). However, its backwards. I think if I change the lever bracket I can work it out.

Another question was the log lift speed and lifting capacity. Its a bit fast, and seem plenty powerful. The flow seems to be enough to kick the pump into the second stage 2000psi. I might take the restrictor off, weld it shut at and re-drill it to 1/16.

The whole rig trailered great. You could really feel the weight, but it didn't bounce around or rattle at all.

The wedge lift works like expected.

Things to fix:
Flip lift and wedge valves
Add grease zerts to pusher (spray silicone didn't work)
Locking pin to make log lift solid
Touch up paint.

BIG QUESTION
With engine at speed, the gauge coming off the pump reads zero. When you move a valve, it climbs to 600ish the 2000psi. I did not expect zero, I thought it would always be at 600 and climb to 2000 when needed.
Is the pump still flowing ?

IMG_6179.jpg

In an open center system there's no resistance to make pressure when no valves are being operated. It's like you're pumping into a pipe that's open at the end. Zero psi in that case is a good thing, it means you sized the hoses and fittings so they're not too much of a restriction.

You might try an adjustable restrictor valve for the log lift so you can tune it for the right speed and not too much of a restriction that it kicks the pump into low flow/high PSI mode.

The pump only build pressure when it runs into a restriction. Like Eric said, the pump is returning oil directly to tank when valve is in center position. A clean return filter between valve and tank wont provide much resistence to oil flow so you would see very little pressure on your guage.

To slow donw your log lift, I would take a brass pipe plug and drill a 1/8hole in the middle. Then tap the inside of the fitting for the proper thread of the pipe plug. Then screw the plug into the fitting and the hose back on the fitting. The 1/8 hole in the plug will provide a restriction to the oil flow to the lift cylinder and slow it down. You can experiment some with the drill size to get the speed down to where you are comfortable with it. A restriction as I described will create heat in the oil, but when using it in a log lift, you are not pumping a steady stream of oil so heat build up will be pretty small. Anyways, its cheaper to drill a brass plug than sourceing a restricted fitting and buying the size you need the first time.

Jake take a look a Surplus center in Lincoln Ne part number 9-7960-4 flow control valve. I run on on my processor to control the speed of the cut on the hyd saw and I run one on my log splitter to control the speed of the log lift.
I use those on my tractor's loader to control "bucket flop" and on the backhoe to cure abrupt boom controls that jerk the tractor around. They come in different flow rates. They restrict flow in one direction only, the other way is free flow. You might need a second if you want to restrict lowering speed as well.

Thanks for the help on this. The splitter looks great sitting in the driveway. To date, I have split one 8" log. The neighbors are even taking pictures of it.

And then the 6.0 decided to re-establish it's crown of most unreliable Diesel engine on earth.

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

Can't believe how much stuff you have to take off to work on this thing...

Back