Aristocrat Tree - Is it dead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliab01

Reaction score
Last year we planted 2 aristocrat trees, about 10 feet tall. One is doing really good, the other is not. The one that is good is starting to bloom out, and looks healthy. The other one is black with no leaves or anything new. Is it dead? Can I do something to help it? They were expensive, and I hate to lose one of them. Please help!!
Thank you:msp_unsure:

dead tree

I suppose you could scratch the bark and see if it has any green? But if it hasn't leafed out and the buds aren't swelled up by now down in Texas then I would say it's a goner and there's nothing you can do but pulled it out of the ground and replace it. It would be interesting to the forum to have you post a few jpgs of both the good tree and the dead tree.

Thank you, I will try and scratch it and see if there is any green. And yes I could post some pictures of the one in question, and also the one that seems to be doing good.

When you dig it up, take a close look at the root ball. Look for things like dead roots that never grew, thick mats of encircling roots that never grew outside of the root ball, burlap fabric that never got removed or lowered.

What kind of soil were they planted in? If heavy clay soil, was the tree planted in a hole barely bigger than the root ball?

Do a little diagnosis now, and the next tree might be a better survivor.

Would love to hear the verdict once the tree is dug up, maybe post some pics of the root and base once it is out of the ground. It would definitely be helpful to see what may have gone wrong so that perhaps other can avoid losing a beautiful tree as well.

Back