ARRRRGH! buddy smashes saw throwing a log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460magnum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So my buddy and I were cutting on one of the piles of logs that I had posted earlier... He went around to the top of the pile after I shut off my saw and cut a few logs. After he shut the saw off I heard SMACK!:bang: about a 12"Cherry round right off the decompression valve! bent that over, broke the top cover, cracked the inside of the air box cover and bent the handle up to the point the chain brake wouldn't function. We loaded up and went home to survey the damage. I repositioned the cover straightened the valve and check it over. Fired it up and went out for 5 more runs!:chainsawguy: What a TOUGH A$$ SAW! It was about 10-15' from the top of the pile to the bottom where my saw was. I checked it over good but I will let me dealer double check it. It ran fine the rest of the day. That being said When I went to the dealer to order the parts I also ordered the big spikes and the dual Port cover! Dealer said it would make a big difference and he would tune it accordingly for free. Nice guy:hmm3grin2orange: can't wait to get it tuned and try it out. SOOOO ALWAYS SIT YOUR SAW BEHIND A TREE AWAY FROM YOUR BUDDIES!!! He offered to pay the 150.00 for the parts..... That's tuff to do to a good friend!

Last edited:
smash happens, look on the bright side, it gave you an excuse to get the dp and dawgs.:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't feel bad it happens, I ran over a saw the other day. Was it your 460?
If so you will love the big spikes and dp.

accidents happen

I sat my best 395 husky by a tree and it got hit by the skidder it was totaled . That was about a thousand dolars down the drain but some times things happen and your beter off not getting mad. He is a good skidder operator so i wasnt to mad at him. Theres no room in the woods for a hothead anyway. Just chalk it up to expirience

I sat my best 395 husky by a tree and it got hit by the skidder it was totaled . That was about a thousand dolars down the drain but some times things happen and your beter off not getting mad. He is a good skidder operator so i wasnt to mad at him. Theres no room in the woods for a hothead anyway. Just chalk it up to expirience
Good thing it was a 395 Husky and not a Stihl 066-660, you would have probably killed him:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
I'd be unhappy if someone smashed one of my saws (especially my 880 or 3120) but over the years I have found it easier to remind myself that if there were no injuries then it's all fixable.

Serious injuries are forever, saws can be fixed.

Been there done that, I was cutting some firewood a few weeks ago, moved my truck to pull the splitter up close to the pile we had cut, hit one of the rounds with the front tire and launched it right on top of my buddy's new MS180 and broke the brake handle. Makes you feel stupid does'nt it? From now on I will get all the saws waaaaaaaaay the he11 out of the way before moving the truck!

I couldn't resist my Stihl 066-660 post. I'm not trashing Huskys. Hell, Stihl or Husky they are all good!! I just don't own any Huskys. I'm sure one of these days I will find a beat up old Husky I can fix up and fall in love with.

Last edited:
He is a stand-up friend

He offered to pay! That is a straight up friend. I know the saw was damaged, But, friends like that are worth more than the $150 bucks. Just my 2 anyway.

Yeah the 460 got it. If it was the MS170 I would have just tossed it and got a new one given the price. I wasn't surprised he wanted to pay for it. I just feel like I'm taking his money for nothing I mean after all I sat the saw at the bottom of the pile. I guess blame can go anyway the people point it?

It happenes ran over my 361 with the loader some time back broke the brake handel bent bar. O well being it was the mighty 361 just happy the loader was ok.

Got all my parts in! Installed the new big spikes, roller chain catch, dual port cover not to mention all the stuff my buddy broke. I just screwed the dual port cover on and took the saw to the dealer to have him tune it. I will let you know how it goes and post pics!

Got all my parts in! Installed the new big spikes, roller chain catch, dual port cover not to mention all the stuff my buddy broke. I just screwed the dual port cover on and took the saw to the dealer to have him tune it. I will let you know how it goes and post pics!

did you say it bent the decomp button and you straightend it???? if so you might consider replacing it,,,, the stem ususally breaks when you straighten them,,,, :cheers:

well i have to say, ive been lucky i havent accidently trashed a saw from wood or running it over, but i have sent them to the grave by tossing them out of a tree when they refuse to run. bosses usually frown on that. oh well it got me a new saw to use and would run. the best one was a little homelite super 2 on concrete driveway at around 50ft. OOPS it slipped, not. but that was back in my younger days.

Latest posts

Back