Asbestos gaskets/components in McCulloch chain saws (1960-1980's)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwarnke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for user manuals or illustrated parts list from the 1960's-1980's that lists or show asbestos gaskets/components being mentioned.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You,

Derek W.

If you are hoping to go after McCulloch for asbestos related injury, the window has long since closed. McCulloch Motors is dead and gone. The name is just intellectual property now. Anyway, all the asbestos lawsuits were bundled and settled long ago.

That said, the best place to ask your question would be the McCulloch thread.

Were they a smoker? I've seen it claimed that it greatly increases the risk for Meso.
Big chunks of asbestos have a much lower risk than asbestos that has been mechanically converted to a powder.
Old asbestos containing brake linings and clutch plates were really bad for that.

Were they a smoker? I've seen it claimed that it greatly increases the risk for Meso.
Big chunks of asbestos have a much lower risk than asbestos that has been mechanically converted to a powder.
Old asbestos containing brake linings and clutch plates were really bad for that.
He was not a smoker but worked a lot scraping and using wire wheels on gaskets on McCulloch saws. They are telling him there gaskets never had asbestos, just trying to help him out to find something that says different.

As a retired researcher and scientist just a cautionary note about the difference between researching and researching with a defined goal in mind. There are serious pitfalls to the latter if one is not careful to avoid them.

I my guess would be that McCullough purchased the gaskets from a third party, to McCullough might not know the gasket composition unless it was directly specified. You really should be looking for best evidence, that being vintage McCullough gaskets and having them tested for asbestos. Provenance is important, as who can say if the gasket on an old McCullough saw is OEM. I'd be searching for old OEM gaskets in factory packaging as they would be best evidence.

Back