Ash or Cottonwood for siding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have my choice of White Ash, or Cottonwood to use as siding for the playhouse Im building this summer. Which is going to hold up better?

Im leaing towards the Ash if I have enough of it. The Cottonwood I have more than enough of.

Casey
Ash is the first choice as far as holding up to the elements but splits easy and warps when green .CottonWood usally has ring shake in it but has workablity.:confused:

CaseyForrest said:
I have my choice of White Ash, or Cottonwood to use as siding for the playhouse Im building this summer. Which is going to hold up better?

Im leaing towards the Ash if I have enough of it. The Cottonwood I have more than enough of.

Cottonwood needs to stay inside. Now, if you want siding that smells on rainy days and falls off in 5 years, don't let me stop you.

Another ash vote.

Mark

Ash

use the ash outside. Cottonwood is better used inside for trim, soft and easy to work. while the cottonwood will take paint better it is not good out in the weather.

Cottonwood is only used here for pallets and pulp. As already menitioned earlier it rots quickly. It will also warp tremendously. It actually has a good value here as we have a lot of pallet makers. If the pallet guys are shutdown then we pile it with a D7.

Bill

Back