Ash today, Maple tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A half mile from home, free, ['cause who wants wood in July] & what else did I have to do this afternoon? The first load
ash1.jpg
The second load, I forgot the pic. before I rolled them off, so it's on the ground
ash.jpg
20" bar on that old 041, just for scale. Tomorrow, at least 2 loads of maple from the same place, the 20" bar gets changed to the 28, the maples a little fatter -

Score! :clap: Funny what you said about who wants wood in July. Up here, people are freaking (for good reason) about the upcoming winter. Never seen so many loads trucking by. We can't even deliver wood ordered now, before next year at this point. We're that far out.

I'd have to say the smart ones want wood anytime, especially when it's FREE! I brought the maple home today, this was the main trunk - The people that got all the 'easy' wood off it, they kept promising to come back & clean the rest up for these people. Never showed. They only had to call me once.
maple1.jpg
This stuff's kind of snotty, but if you're mechanized enough, it's not so bad
maple2.jpg

Score! :clap: Funny what you said about who wants wood in July. Up here, people are freaking (for good reason) about the upcoming winter. Never seen so many loads trucking by. We can't even deliver wood ordered now, before next year at this point. We're that far out.

Ditto here one state over in NH. A tornado came through here last week keeping all the tree people busy, busy.

Spent the weekend with a few tornado-downed red maples that will give me a good jump on 2009-10.

As I was cutting and loading, saw lots of trucks going by with heaping loads of rounds.

cut a big ash tree friday, got 2 cord from it. Standing dead, got to love it.

Last edited:
That is a GREAT set-up on your truck. Got any pics of th build? I'd love to have something like that! NICE, FREE wood too!

No pics of the crane building, it was back before digital cameras made life easy - I made it around 1990, it was on my Chev C30 before this truck. I just couldn't spend the 5 or 6 grand a store bought one went for. Most of this one came from the junkyard. The boom was the side rails from a Big Joe forklift, 3/8" thick channel welded together to make a square tube. It's pretty overbuilt, the electric winch will stall out at about 1000 lb, a snatch block in the fall line will double that. It's moved stoves, gunsafes, machinery, but mostly logs. More pics of it in this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71925

lol around 5 in the evening i usually see a convoy of 1 tons with dumpers going through town with overflowing loads of wood. firewood guys around here are doing very well this year.

Different Drying Times

Remember, Mike, maple dries about twice as fast as ash and will be ready for burning in about 3 to 4 months if cut green. Ash takes at least 6 months to be nice and dry, sometimes longer.

The two really compliment each other in a wood stove fire. The ash burns more slowly and the maple gets it going. Nice Haul! :cheers:

Remember, Mike, maple dries about twice as fast as ash and will be ready for burning in about 3 to 4 months if cut green. Ash takes at least 6 months to be nice and dry, sometimes longer.

The two really compliment each other in a wood stove fire. The ash burns more slowly and the maple gets it going. Nice Haul! :cheers:

In my experience it is the other way around. I think ash dries out very quickly, I have burned ash green in my OWB and it almost takes off burning before I even let the piece go. Silver maple dries fairly fast, but hard maple takes a good 6 months before I would consider it really dry. Ash is one of my favorite types of wood to burn. My neighbor will burn some ash green in his indoor wood stove and has never had a problem with creosote. Maybe we have different species of ash and maple that dry differently.

Kyle

Kyle, I think you're right - Wood Doc, any chance for a second opinion? :help: Anyway, back on picture #2, two & a half of those big rounds [38" dia - 40" long roughly] made this cord of wood. Took me part of two mornings, one was really snotty with knots, and the sun got the best of me yesterday.
cord1.jpg

In my experience it is the other way around. I think ash dries out very quickly, I have burned ash green in my OWB and it almost takes off burning before I even let the piece go. Silver maple dries fairly fast, but hard maple takes a good 6 months before I would consider it really dry. Ash is one of my favorite types of wood to burn. My neighbor will burn some ash green in his indoor wood stove and has never had a problem with creosote. Maybe we have different species of ash and maple that dry differently.

Kyle, I guess I am referring to soft or silver maple. Yes, hard maple takes much longer to dry than soft maple. Around here, ash takes twice as log to dry as soft maple and ash takes forever to dry rot, so it srores beautifully, like oak. I believe, however, that it also depends upon during what season the wood is cut. Most of the ash growing artound here is red or purple autumn ash. However, there is one other popular variety that turns grreen to yellow rather than red or purple in between. Not sure what that is.

Bottom line is that oak, locust, hackberry, and mulberry do take longer to dry than ash. I rate ash and elm about even on drying time. Ash is also my favorite overall firewood, and I tend to seek it out of a wood pile like a hungry mongoose.

Go get that ash! :cheers:

Last edited:
Most of the ash in my neck of the woods is white ash with a few black ash. Ash and elm are the most prevalent around with some oak ridges. It always seems I can find a dead standing elm to cut down if I get low on wood. I guess elm used to get really big around here back 25 or so years ago, now your lucky to see them more than 16" dbh depending on species. Look at me highjacking the thread and rambling, I'll shut up now. Hey it's Friday time for a few cold ones!!!:cheers:

Kyle

Most of the ash in my neck of the woods is white ash with a few black ash. Ash and elm are the most prevalent around with some oak ridges. It always seems I can find a dead standing elm to cut down if I get low on wood. I guess elm used to get really big around here back 25 or so years ago, now your lucky to see them more than 16" dbh depending on species. Look at me highjacking the thread and rambling, I'll shut up now. Hey it's Friday time for a few cold ones!!!:cheers:

Kyle
Kyle, you are hijacking nothing. Anybody that would occasionaly split elm because ash is not as plentiful is probably deserving of a few cold ones. You have to admit one thing--elm is still a whale of a firewood when it comes time to heat the house. :givebeer:

P.S. I have so much elm collected this year that I decided to go get some maple (like OP) to break the monotony. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back