Ash Tree Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrivera

Reaction score
The bark at the base of my Cimarron Ash has seperated from the trunk. It looks like there is some trunk damage, but I can't see any bugs. There are barely any leaves on it this year. The city put in the same type of tree on the street and it is fine... The tree is only a few years old. I would say the trunk is about 4-6 inches in diameter. I have checked all the diseases known to hit ashes and none seem to match. After hearing about Michigan's problems ( I am in Wisconsin), I searched the trunk and didn't see any bugs.. Does anyone Have any ideas??
Here is the link to the photos.
http://photos.yahoo.com/migman_us

Hi, welcome.

The damage looks pretty severe and I didn't see the type of damage that bugs like to create. It looks to me like some kind of mechanical damage, like Toro blight or Weedeater blight.

Also, who planted it? It kinda looks to be planted a bit too deep. Was the twine removed from trunk and burlap pulled back? There's good resources around here regarding proper planting.

If the planting depth or huge mechanical injury doesn't get it, the Emeral Ash Borer that is scheduled to be here in WI in the next few years will kill it for sure. Why plant an Ash?!?
Don't get too attached to this tree and plant something else.

"The damage looks pretty severe and I didn't see the type of damage that bugs like to create. It looks to me like some kind of mechanical damage, like Toro blight or Weedeater blight.

Also, who planted it? It kinda looks to be planted a bit too deep. Was the twine removed from trunk and burlap pulled back? There's good resources around here regarding proper planting."

I agree the wound is old, and was caused by a pest in the subspecies Homo subsapiens. Check Buying and Planting in the link below, and send us pics of the trunk flare. I do not agree on giving up on ash trees jsut becasue of a bug. I do agree on planting another tree just in case though...

Latest posts

Back