Ashes in the driveway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ashes are supposed to be good for apple trees , hopefully that’s correct because I recently spread two 5 gallon pails of ashes around the very old apple tree on my lawn.
My yard is so slippery from ice right now that it’s extremely dangerous walking out there, tomorrow I’m going to try spreading some ashes out there and see if it helps. I do know from experience ashes do speed up the snow and ice melting process.

I sift my ashes with hardware cloth and also a screen. The heavy stuff ends up back in the woodstove to reburn the charcoal. Everything left on the screen is magneted and saved as super wind proof ice melter. The rest of it I spread on the driveway, yard, garden, horse pasture and give to neighbors for their driveways. Usually get 3-4 55 gallon trashcans full a year.

My drive is SUPER hilly and gravel, without ashes I'd be going absolutely nowhere even with 4wd.

If you spread regular fine ashes on windy days on sheer ice, it blows away. The chunky "super" stuff doesn't.

When I burnt my entire demo'd house through the OWB the buckets would be really heavy with nails. Took forever. Price of scrap crashed too, but I still took in the buckets to the scrapyard.

Growing up we would put the ash at the front of out driveway and on snowbanks to help melt them back faster. I guess I forgot the reasons why and this past storm scattered the better part of my drive with ash. Worked good until most of the snow was melted back then , what a mess.

I save my ashes in a galvinized trash can too. Not So OCD I sift them how ever, the fine stuff I use the wind to help spread then on the drive when It is slick and I need to have traction.

I mostly make sure they are around the mail box as his mail delivery rig has a grabby brake.

The rest I put in my garden unless I want some Lye.

:D Al

I've often wondered what those who don't have a creek in their back yard do with ashes. I do, so they go in there. I cool them in an ash can for about a week first, then dump them.

I have a creek in my back yard and would never put the ashes in there.
About as earresponciable as dumping round up in there. All that silt going down stream.

:D Al

This was my first winter really burning and being able to use the ash on my driveway and walkway was a godsend. VDOT doesn't seem to own plows and since I'm originally from the North East I'm one of like 3 houses on the block that owns a snow shovel. I got tired of watching cars get stuck at the end of my block and ended up spreading ash across the road at the stop sign, suddenly no one was knocking on my door asking for a push or pull!

Latest posts

Back