Aspen/popple log question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierreg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or heard of anyone using aspen logs for cabin/home construction. I have seen some Canadian examples. I have some beautiful straight trees. I see know problem as long as the overhang is larger and the logs remain dry.Obviously Cedar or Pine are good choices. My home has aspen paneling throughout and is a very underrated for home use. Thanks......Keep warm.

I have an uncle that built a log home using Aspen in the mid 70's. His daughter lives in it now, and it is still very sound. He said the 3 main things to make sure of is to #1 Under no circumstance let the log's be in contact with the ground, #2 have good overhang of the roof, & #3 Keep it sealed with a good sealer. He always kept an eye on the sealer, sometimes he'd seal it every other year and sometimes it was a little longer.
Aspen has a better structural value than most realize. I used to fell timber for a stud mill, and it was surprising how many Aspen 2x4's & 2x6's were shipped. I think it was mixed in with other species and called "white wood".

Andy

Latest posts

Back