ASPEN trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

455ranch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just wondering what this wood is good for?? i got about 12 trees that are about 60ft tall and was probaly going to sell it for firewood if it isnt good for anything else, i was told its quaking aspen

we have alot of quaking aspens around here .i doubt theres much demand for it as firewood anymore than cottonwood .to me it isnt good for anything ,burns fast ,sappy so it smokes alot and pretty light when seasoned ..also if not prepped covered and taken care of it rots and gets gross really fast too.some guys dont mind it much for outdoor wood boilers , but i have found its not even good for a campfire for my tastes.

ok thanx i have been finding ppl to buy it off me for there fireplaces inside i guess and one guy had an outdoor furnace soo who knows i'll sell it if they buy it...

the leaves shake because there are photosynthisizers on both sides of the leaf..vs most trees when the photo-is on one side only.

If i recall, this is why they drop thier leaves last, they are very efficient at harvesting sunlight. they certainly grow fast.

Folks around here really like to burn aspen. I'm not sure why. My experience is that it burn very fast and leaves little to no coals. It holds alot of water when green, but dries relatively quickly. This makes it hard to haul because it is heavy when wet. It is light though when dry which would make it easy to bring inside/place on the OWB. Overall I think it is probably a mediocre at best wood to burn. Like I said folks around here really like it.:dizzy:

the leaves shake because there are photosynthisizers on both sides of the leaf..vs most trees when the photo-is on one side only.

If i recall, this is why they drop thier leaves last, they are very efficient at harvesting sunlight. they certainly grow fast.

The bit of folklore I heard was that Jesus' cross was made of aspen - and that the leaves quake in memory of that dubius distinction.

(Maybe they grow so fast because they're reaching upward to heaven for forgiveness.)

nothing wrong with popple- I use quite a bit of it in the fall and spring for a quick hot fire. I would rank it below soft (red) maple but ahead of balsam. Can't even give balsam away to the OWB guys;they have become firewood snobs:jawdrop:

:confused:

What's that mean? Do they like stick out their pinkies when they're loading up the boilers or something. :laugh:
Firewood Snob: someone who will turn up their nose at a free load of balsam, popple, cottonwood, etc because it's not "good enough":dizzy:

The bit of folklore I heard was that Jesus' cross was made of aspen - and that the leaves quake in memory of that dubius distinction.

(Maybe they grow so fast because they're reaching upward to heaven for forgiveness.)

actually most seem to agree the cross was pine and was a strain called a stone pine native to Judea in particular

Seems like there is a good demand for aspen in the resort towns, makes good looking fire, yellow flames, and good sounding fire, crackles. I mix it in with pine if I have some. Or use it in the off season for a quick warm up.

Cheers.

actually most seem to agree the cross was pine and was a strain called a stone pine native to Judea in particular

You're likely as right as I was. There doesn't seem to be definitive evidence proving any particular species of tree. I've also heard olive, cedar, palm, and hollywood.

Unfortunately, doing a simple dendro-analysis of a surviving relic would prove little. It's been said that there are enough relics of the True Cross out there to fabricate a battleship.

Here's an interesting link. If you've got a source, I'd be delighted to take a look at a site with info about the stone pine theory.

http://www.prayerbook.com/Bible/Crosses/crossexamp.htm

We've got lot's of Aspen around here. The best use I've found for it is to have it milled into 1"x lumber, and make tongue & groove paneling out of it. What's not big enough to mill, I'll burn but it burns fast.
There's a myth around here that burning Aspen will clean your flue, but I've never seen the evidence to confirm that myth. It does however reduce build up in the flue when it's burned with Pine that's not quite dry enough. My theory is that it makes the fire hot enough to get away with it.

The wall on the right is Aspen.
OurHouseRemodel077.jpg

Andy

it was said:(Maybe they grow so fast because they're reaching upward to heaven for forgiveness.)

that could be, i suppose...but i tend to think they are growing fast to crush the competition..which they do (try) pretty well in my young maple forest!...that is untill they meet Mr. Huskyvarny that is.

I'll tell you what they are good for. Racing!!! Make racing cants from them. Or find someone who wants them for that. I had both Popular and Aspen at my place last Jan 3rd and the Aspen was better wood for racing.

Alot of it around here, mainly used as pulp wood. It's generally looked down on as firewood but it'll do in a pinch.

Latest posts

Back