ASPEN trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aspen OH aspen

It actually makes a real pretty tongue and grove interior siding. As far as firewood, it makes great kindling or it makes good fall or spring wood. Another idea, just say you have a sense that it could be your lucky night, needing to add a little quick atmosphere throw some of this aspen stuff in and it will start quick.....I always keep some of it around just in case....

It actually makes a real pretty tongue and grove interior siding. As far as firewood, it makes great kindling or it makes good fall or spring wood. Another idea, just say you have a sense that it could be your lucky night, needing to add a little quick atmosphere throw some of this aspen stuff in and it will start quick.....I always keep some of it around just in case....

Nothing like a bright crackly fire to set the mood

Quaken Aspen that we grow here in Utah, is used for firewood. Paneling, picture frames, shed studs and siding.

It does burn fast, with no build up in the chimney though. That is a plus.

When it is used for siding and studs, it needs to be kept off of the ground and treated a bit.

I re-sawed a few dozen beams and some smaller 8x8 beams last summer. From a 115 year old barn and they were solid and turned out to be aspen.

Some of the colors and grains in the wood make it great for table tops. Lots of people build log beds from it also.

Kevin

I agree.

Elk love Aspen!

In the dead of winter - early spring before the meadow clear or the grass greens, elk will use there lower teeth to rake up on the smooth bark of adolescent Aspen trees.

Just as the leaves start to turn elk will brake Aspen saplings by twisting them in there jaw to get at the leaves, real cute to watch how the calves will fallow old cows that really have the knack for braking them over.

It dose not take long to figure out elk migrations trends by there use of Aspen.

The inner bark contains a an aspirin like chemical if your into folk-lore.

Kay_aspen2.jpg

Years of elk damage...

elkaspensm.jpg

Aspen( Popple ) is also excellent wood to mill and make your sauna benches out of. Unlike Cedar it doesn't heat up so fast and burn your backside when the sauna is at a perfect temperature of 220°F.

220°F? If your not Swedish, your folk are, you betcha!

The Minnesota motto for logging camps was, "no sauna, no Swedes"

Use for aspen

I agree with others, in this area where other hardwoods are plentiful, aspen (poplar) is regarded as poor firewood because it burns too quickly. If you are a woodworker, it's a really nice wood to work with (although it smells bad before it's air dried). Fairly strong for it's weight, it yields easily to hand tools, takes a nice finish, and sometimes has nice figure and color in the grain.
Here's one of the benches I made from Bigtooth Aspen. I used an adze, drawknife, and spokeshaves. I did run the top of the plank through a thickness planer. The legs are made from branches from the same tree.

I agree with others, in this area where other hardwoods are plentiful, aspen (poplar) is regarded as poor firewood because it burns too quickly. If you are a woodworker, it's a really nice wood to work with (although it smells bad before it's air dried). Fairly strong for it's weight, it yields easily to hand tools, takes a nice finish, and sometimes has nice figure and color in the grain.
Here's one of the benches I made from Bigtooth Aspen. I used an adze, drawknife, and spokeshaves. I did run the top of the plank through a thickness planer. The legs are made from branches from the same tree.

excelent work!

Elk love Aspen!

In the dead of winter - early spring before the meadow clear or the grass greens, elk will use there lower teeth to rake up on the smooth bark of adolescent Aspen trees.

Just as the leaves start to turn elk will brake Aspen saplings by twisting them in there jaw to get at the leaves, real cute to watch how the calves will fallow old cows that really have the knack for braking them over.

It dose not take long to figure out elk migrations trends by there use of Aspen.

The inner bark contains a an aspirin like chemical if your into folk-lore.

Kay_aspen2.jpg

Years of elk damage...

elkaspensm.jpg
You beat me to it! Looks like home to me but we have 50/50 Moose and Elk chewing on the aspen's.Aspen's have medicinal purpose too that benefit humans.

Back