Aspiring Climber- First saddle, looking mid-grade options.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liveliner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thought I was all set on picking up a saddle. Started looking at the Weaver & Buckingham double D's , older style saddles in then $150 ish range. Now considering more mid-grade like Cougar, nearly added that one to my cart. After weeks of U tube videos, re-reading Jepson's books, studying SRT vs DRT, reviewing hardware & terminology I like the Buckingham Rebellion at $350 but thinking too much saddle for a newbie. Bad habit of going one step better than I need in purchases. However, I found a low limb in my snowy yard for a practice hang and realized my FF rescue sling just ain't gonna cut it. Older & retired now I realize I should not be doing this, but I can't help myself I want to give it a go. Decent shape, FF for 30yrs, Marine vet, with a few oaks to prune. Going very low& very slow, plan to start DRT with split tail setup. While I think a recreational harness could work for many, my advanced age requires a bit more padding & comfort. See by writing this out, I answered my own question. There it is. Go with a newer style mid range saddle like the Buckingham Rebellion.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago when I started climbing. I was also looking at the cheaper weaver 4ds, etc. Research and advice from folks on this site led me to the weaver cougar. I've been very happy with it. I climb recreational, and as I've gotten comfortable I started doing light pruning in the tree and have taken down a couple small to medium size trees in my yard. Also take care of problem limbs and stuff for friends. I've only had one paying job from a friend of a friend who insisted on paying me. Anyway, for me the cougar has been a great saddle. I recommend it highly. Like you I'm older, 65 years.

Well put men. I am aspiring myself too. Been a lineman in telecom for decades and having a hard time letting go of climbing(must be nuts). I really enjoy the tree work and hopefully when the COVID thing lightens up I can get some training. Being a smaller dude and 50 years young, I am struggling to find saddle and kit to be content with. Still haven't made the purchase yet. Any well intentioned input is appreciated. Best of luck to all and keep reaching up.

Amazing , the tree climbing techniques discussed on this site. Thanks all for contributing to the advancement of your profession & sharing your skills. I'm ready to do a Liger mod on a saddle I don't have yet to better position myself in a tree I have never climbed. (lol). Crazy! How does this happen? Simply by trying to buy my first saddle and learning about rope bridges,belay loops, double D's, rings & connection plates. Overwhelmed, like taking a college class. Software & hardware components that you better get right or suffer brutal consequences.

Latest posts

Back