First new chainsaw! Thanks to all from this site for helping!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! Dont forget to drain the fuel when your done using it, meaning dont let the saw sit out in the garage for months on end with mix in the tank. A week is ok but not a month. Same goes for the mix tank that you will use to store fuel for the saw. Mix your fuel in small batches for the size of jobs that your doing. Once that mix is over six weeks old, pour it in your truck and buy fresh.

Thanks!

Thanks to you all for a warm welcome!

To answer a few of the points mentioned, yes I think that I probably will end up with some other saws as I go along. I recognize the CAD propensity, and I am easy prey to the same kind of disorder in many hobbies. I have eaten my share of Noodle Ramen while saving to buy things that I really didn't "need". But it's fun.

I will do a lot more reading on tuning and maintenance, so that I can keep the saw in top shape. I appreciate the tips that some of you here have already given. I will use non-ethanol gas, and my initial plan is to use the Stihl pre-mixed 50:1 fuel. I do have a non-ethanol source at a station near me, but it's 87 octane, and I doubt that it's sufficient for the high compression in this saw. So, while the source is there at the pump for 87 non-ethanol, I would feel better spending a bit more to get the canned fuel at the chainsaw store downtown.

Regarding the muffler with the cat, I will use it for the time being as it is, and see how I feel about it.
I discussed it with my dealer where I bought the saw yesterday, and he said that if I want the non-cat muffler for a 5100S, he would install it and re-tune, including over-riding the limiter caps if necessary, for about $50. And he told me that if I had him do it, that it wouldn't void the warranty because he'd stand behind it. So, that option is available for me if I want to do it.
He said that this 5105 model runs so strong that he doubts that I will feel the need for any more power out of it. But, we'll see. I'm a hot-rodder at heart, and it rarely has anything to do with "need". After the warranty is up, I might even look at getting it ported.

I have a lot of stuff to do this week-end, but I'll find some time to cut something down with this new saw!

Dolmar

imagesqtbnANd9GcQBAW0BCKqh2YfKbEUJh.jpg

A couple of things you need to know:

1) The 14,500rpm saws does have a limited coil, limited at just 14,500. This makes it hard to discover that it goes lean, without monitoring the development with a tach. 14,300 is leaner than I would like as a starting point, unless I had a tach.

2) The 14,500rpm 5105s continued to often "blow up", like the 5100S did - that is likely why they changed the max allowed rpm (and limiter) after a while.

1) The 14,500rpm saws does have a limited coil, limited at just 14,500. This makes it hard to discover that it goes lean, without monitoring the development with a tach. 14,300 is leaner than I would like as a starting point, unless I had a tach.

2) The 14,500rpm 5105s continued to often "blow up", like the 5100S did - that is likely why they changed the max allowed rpm (and limiter) after a while.

Yes I understand.
I'm depending on my dealer quite a bit with this.
I will take it to him after the 8-10 tanks he recommended, for a re-check and tune.
There won't be any ethanol in my tank.

I just go one as well, but barely used with heated handles. Have a question

I just purchase a tack but it not arrived yet. I got the saw yesterday, from Scott at Chainsawr.com and its near new. They tune it before it left the door, and I ran it for about an hour today. It four-stroked off and on in the cut, so it was on the bleeding edge of being perfect. I had my screwdriver with me and tuned it on just on the other side of that a 1/8 turn lean. I did notice that it was hard to tune because it did not seam responsive to the adjustment, i was a little spooked. So I when back to find the four-stoking and started again. I just read this post and I now know it has a limited coil. Once I get my tack I will see what my ear tuning is and set it at 14300 to start. I run stihl, ultra with fresh gas. Any other advice on tuning that I should know regarding this saw?

Congrats on finding the saw you wanted... now if you wish to avoid serious CAD (yes, it's real and can cripple your wallet with ease) then study up on chain sharpening and get the hell outta here.

Or stay and contract CAD. It is up to you...

Latest posts

Back