Time to buy the new saw - Revisiting Son Gased My MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only repeat issue I see with the MS180 etc. is that amateurs run them with a dull chain, or dog them trying to make them do more than they were designed to do and cook the plastic around the clutch drum. Run them with the clutch drum bearing missing.... there again likely from dogging a dull chain.

Maybe amateur is unfair. I have seen MS500I's with crankcase ruined by running it with clutch drum bearing missing . I have seen them ran with the rim sprocket off until it ate the end of the drum off. Makes you wonder.

I only recommend a pro saw, for me, wuality Stihl saws start with MS261, I recommend that, all the power you need is there. If you really need something smaller, then MS241.
Have you used the 201C (rear-handled)? I adore mine for limbing and light felling. 261 is the next step up, but it doesn't have to come out for everything.

For the thread, it's not a $250 saw (though I got mine for $275 at a pawnshop — check the used market, thrift stores, pawn shops, etc.). I still recommend it.

I had an ms290 for 10 years. Generally hated here on this forum. After 10 years it was still running great. I sold it for almost what I paid. Buy quality, take care of it, and it will last a long long time, and hold its value.
Some of us change the 290 to a 390, makes for a better power to weight ratio..

If you do decide to replace your 180 I would recommend having it set up with 3/8" .050 gauge bar and chain, preferably 14". Leave the regular .043 gauge junk for the pole saws for which it was intended.

I am a fan of the MS180. Have had it for about 4 years now and it has been flawless. For heavier cutting I use my Husq 350 with a 16" bar. That takes care of what I call my "heavier cutting". But I find that I use my MS180 for way more than half of my cutting - lighter and not that much slower than the 350.

I ditto SteveSr's comment above. The first thing I did after I got it was to switch out the bar to a 14" with the 3/8" 0.500 bar and chain. I was "OK with the original equipment 0.430" 16" bar, but it is like a different saw with the upgraded bar and chain.

Have you used the 201C (rear-handled)? I adore mine for limbing and light felling. 261 is the next step up, but it doesn't have to come out for everything.

For the thread, it's not a $250 saw (though I got mine for $275 at a pawnshop — check the used market, thrift stores, pawn shops, etc.). I still recommend it.
I'm a stihl guy and want a small saw but geez 850 for a 35 cc saw thats more then a 261 or 362 get real stihl. The husky 540xp looking pretty good for 200 less.

170 and 180 are the main barn building saw for the Amish in this area. They get NO maintenance. Run for a few years that way,
Still repairing 017 and 018 saws. Great for the price.
I prefer 180s. The extra power just makes it more useful.

Latest posts

Back