Time to buy the new saw - Revisiting Son Gased My MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digital_Dad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For those of you who read about what happened to my saw my son is about to buy me a new saw(it's actually the second time because the one he just bought had a cracked case). But here is my question: Since so many of you dislike the Stihl MS180 should I just buy another saw for less? Like a poulan or troy-bilt? I can get a larger cc engine and longer bar for the same price? I am trying to stay around the 250 mark since that is what I paid for the original saw. Lots of big box stores sell cheap 40+ cc saws for under 300

=

What's up with gently used in your area?
I used to have 20 saws all used until recently. Had to move some of them to new homes to make room for my Husqvarna 550xp mk2.
I have a ms180 and I like it, however I reach for my Husqvarna 440 more often.

For those of you who read about what happened to my saw my son is about to buy me a new saw(it's actually the second time because the one he just bought had a cracked case). But here is my question: Since so many of you dislike the Stihl MS180 should I just buy another saw for less? Like a poulan or troy-bilt? I can get a larger cc engine and longer bar for the same price? I am trying to stay around the 250 mark since that is what I paid for the original saw. Lots of big box stores sell cheap 40+ cc saws for under 300

=
If you do decide to replace your 180 I would recommend having it set up with 3/8" .050 gauge bar and chain, preferably 14". Leave the regular .043 gauge junk for the pole saws for which it was intended.

I read your original thread, that's honorable of your son to take responsibility, something that you should be proud of.

Members typically have run a lot of saws for loads of hours; eventually people tend to work their way up to more reliable, easier to use, lighter, faster cutting saws...which are often more expensive than entry level saws because of what goes into them. If someone could make "a great saw for less money" they would and we'd all own one. Therefore instead of you spending money on a saw you'll have to replace down the road members suggest something that will last and make your investment in the saw/bar/chains worthwhile.

STIHL, even for a homeowner saw, is a great brand. Reliable, long-lived (as in 25 years or more), powerful, easy to run.

Husqvarna owners love them, they cost less, they're lighter and faster, but they don't have the diehard reputation STIHL has.

Some of the very inexpensive saws from the big-box stores like you mentioned above are pretty finicky and and burn themselves out quickly if everything isn't "perfect," and they won't have the power, speed, or light weight of Husqvarna or STIHL. With chainsaws you typically get what you pay for.

The downside is STIHL requires a dealer to service your saw and/or provide parts, so if you have a crappy dealer you're pretty much screwed. Husqvarna's parts are ungodly expensive, and as of recent hard to get since they shut down a plant causing some things to be back-ordered 2 to 6 months.

ECHO is a Japanese owned company, though the saws are made in Japan, China, and the US, depending. The opinion I've gathered is they have more plastic than STIHL and are slightly less reliable than Husqvarna, however are still very reliable and parts are "dirt cheap" compared to either Husqvarna or STIHL. The technology seems to be about 30 years old with some updates, but that simplicity makes them easy to work on. Comparing saws, they're not as light as Husqvarna or STIHL, but again price and reliability is very good, and replacement parts can be bought online. Unlike Husqvarna or STIHL, ECHO supplies parts lists freely on their website, right on the saw's model page, which is a huge benifit.

Personally, I'm a STIHL guy. I inherited my dad's STIHL 015 homeowner's saw from around 40 years ago which he ran hard without servicing it other than one spark plug. The bar, sprocket, and chain are beat to death, but the thing still runs great and I have an awesome local dealer. He cut a lot of heating wood with the 14" bar, which is generally considered tiny on these forums, but we heated our home all winter for 20 or so years with the wood we cut and split. Without that history I'd probably own ECHO because IF something goes wrong I can look up what parts I need and order them online, or take it to an ECHO dealer.

Of course you need a saw that fits your needs in weight, power, and price. Your time and happyness is worth money, so spend a bit more than you think you should (add to whatever your son would spend if needed) and get a saw that will make you smile while using it.

There's a STIHL saw comparison chart attached to this post (because I have it handy), though buy what fits you best.

Attachments

• STIHL Chain-Saw-Comparison-Chart.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 1
Echo, hands down. If I didn't regard saws as part toy and buy more than I need out of the toy budget to have fun with, and was just looking for a reliable workhorse at a good value, Echo would be what I owned, without question. The Toyota Corolla of saws.

Learn to tune them here on the forum, they're set notoriously lean from the factory.

I thought you were going to fix the 180.
I did try, I put it all together and it wouldn't start. I did try to start it after putting the engine together about 3-4 hors later. Not sure if that was enough time for the gasket to set or if it is something else.

I did try, I put it all together and it wouldn't start. I did try to start it after putting the engine together about 3-4 hors later. Not sure if that was enough time for the gasket to set or if it is something else.
Well, as long as it has compression you just can not stop there. It is something small which is wrong I'm pretty sure. Standard simple troubleshooting will fix it and then you will have 3 saws.
Compression-spark-fuel is the holy combination. There must be good YT material to learn from too.
Not everybody even here has been playing with engines before started playing with girls/boys so no shame.

=
How often are you using your chainsaw? What wood size are you cutting? List the qualities in a saw you are looking for and it will help us to help you.

Go over everything impulse hose/fuel hose / coil to flywheel gap/coil grounds etc again then check if your plug is fuel wet or dry in the combustion chamber. Repair is about starting at a point but methodically covering everything to find the missing piece to the puzzle.
For the money range your looking at I would suggest looking at the echo cs-590 for just a few bucks more. Use this forums search bar to research any saw your considering buying andto look at other options..

Well, as long as it has compression you just can not stop there. It is something small which is wrong I'm pretty sure. Standard simple troubleshooting will fix it and then you will have 3 saws.
Compression-spark-fuel is the holy combination. There must be good YT material to learn from too.
Not everybody even here has been playing with engines before started playing with girls/boys so no shame.

:yes:

Lots of folks hook up the kill switch incorrectly. Not an off switch, but a kill switch. Kill switches ground the circuit killing the spark. Whereas an off switch opens the circuit blocking the energy from reaching the plug.

=
40cc's for $300? Echo CS-400 or 4010.
You mentioned a longer bar. How long of a bar do you realistically need? At 40cc's 16" is about ideal, though Echo sells these with 18" as well.
Fixing the old saw is still an option. You could keep it as a backup or give it to your son so that he wouldn't need to borrow your new Echo. If you aren't the kind of guy who enjoys fixing things just for fun I wouldn't bother with that MS180. Sell/trade/give it to someone who enjoys tinkering or just leave it sitting on top of your garbage can a day before pickup.

=
My go to saw for small jobs is a corded electric. I have a MS180C they will cut anything if you have time on your hands. IMO the best all around saw is around the size of a MS290 plenty that size on the market without breaking the bank. The smaller XP series Husqvarnas are not pricey.

Latest posts

Back